Pinyanensis, Pingyanensis, Pingyangensis

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Brad, tell us what you know about pinyanensis please. The plant you gave me is doing very well, and looks like it is going to be zone 6a hardy. Thanks!
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Pinyanensis, Pingyanensis, Pingyangensis

Post by needmore »

David, I really know nil about it, if I'm remembering the right one I thought that mine sure looked like a form of Phy heteroclada but it was too young to really say. It was thick with vole runs and was not wintering over well. I wonder if I still have it, I had clearcut most of my bamboo before I moved but a recent photo from the tenant has lots of bamboo in it so who knows what I've got there?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Do you by any chance know the proper spelling of the name? I had intentions of posting a photo with the post but I left my phone and camera at the house. It put up several new canes this year and they do look like the heteroclada clan. I'll try to post a picture this afternoon.

I noticed it was not listed in the bamboo picture list on this site.

Thanks for importing this plant! I think it's a winner!
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

I've seen all 3 spellings that you listed, I went for the one with no 'g' but not sure that is proper.
David

Post by David »

Here are some pictures.
Attachments
IMG_8757.JPG
IMG_8760.JPG
IMG_8784.JPG
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

Those nearly horizontal branches are quite Heteroclada like aren't they?
David

Post by David »

Yes, almost flat. This grove is in the shade. I suspect the branches would be shorter, and the plant more erect if had better sun.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

You may be the only one in the US with that unless mine is still around, I'm not sure if I got a piece to Adam or not. Perhaps Jim Bonner also imported it, I know he mostly doubled up on my import trip but not sure about that one.
David

Post by David »

If in the future you decide to grow it again I'll be happy to share. I'm planning on digging it this coming spring, and plant it in a more exposed, and sunny location. Thanks again for importing it, I think it's a winner!
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
David

Post by David »

Brad, on a whim I cut one of the older canes, and it was hollow from the base up. Rules out a solidstem duplicate.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

I'm not sure if you have any other plants from my import trip, I have 6 or 7 out here with me. I think the Pl maculatus is my favorite, I also like the Phy rutila, Phy aurita, and Phy fimbriligula. I have a small, struggling, potted Phy hispida that is a great species - Fargesia-like full sun Phyllostachys. If you don't have it perhaps I'll send you this guy, I'm out of space for runners.
David

Post by David »

You gave me hispida during one of our exchanges, and it has grown into a beautiful , weeping miniature bamboo grove. Fargesia like as you said.

I trialed fimbriligula from Jim. It was unable to survive one of our zero nights.

You gave me a maculatus, and it has done well here. Looks nice hanging over the creek.

The borealis you gave me is very hardy, and stays green most years.

Varioauriculata is a tough little bamboo. I love it for screens. Robustiramea top kills and burns easily, Lofushanensis died over several years.

Virella could be a dwarf rubro? Top burns some, but it has the occassional size up. Not as hardy as rubro.

I know there were some others that I got from Jim that had been on your import list.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

My Virella confuses me, Jos says that it is very Atrovaginata like and quite hardy, like you said mine looked like Rubro and did not seem so hardy, I wonder if I had were the wrong bamboo.

Lofushanensis was a huge disappointment top killing the first year, then the voles destroyed mine and it never really had a chance.

Would you describe your Pl maculatus as an improved S fastuosa? I say improved as the branching compliment does not get so messy but the form is the same. The color of new Phy rutila culms is unique, I'm noticing now that the form of mine is prettier than Phy Nigra henon but both are still fairly small.

Glad you've got a nice Hispida going!
David

Post by David »

Good morning Brad,

I was mistaken regarding the Pl Maculatus. The plant you gave me was Sasa megalophylla. It's doing well, but not quite as hardy as Borealis.

I have not tried Ph rutila or Ph aurita. Jim may have them if you think they would be worth a trial here.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

My Pl maculatus has been in the ground here only since last Oct, it is around 12-14 feet tall and .75 diameter, so I expect it to hit/exceed 20' and seems to not having branching quite so low giving a nice form.

Phy aurita is an interesting Phyllostachys, it seems to produce a flush of culms in a clumping profile but does run as well. It looks dainty but a bit larger that Phy varioauriculata and has a ring of brown hair at the node of shoots. The Phy rutila I am curious about how large it will get, as I mentioned the new culms are a striking green, once that fades you have another green Phy.

Mine are all still growing in the large round container profile so they are too tight to really divide yet, down the road I'd be happy to propagate some as the chance emerges. The Pl maculatus is worth seeking, the other two are mainly interesting.