Newbie Introduction

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

IslandBooGuy
Location info: 0

Newbie Introduction

Post by IslandBooGuy »

Hi! I finally joined after having been looking around the forums a while. I am a regular reader of Alan's INWIG blog and I noticed some members here are somewhat local to me so I thought it might benefit me to be a member as well.

I suppose I've been a fan of bamboo my whole life, however just in the past couple of years I've really taken to growing it. I feel the benefits of bamboo in general are a real bonus when coupled with the beauty of it.

I currently grow 6 varieties in containers that were all purchased in spring of 2014 so I'm a real newbie but trying to learn fast. I am hoping for some sizing up this spring, being the third year for my lot. Already I've seen my Scabrida grow leaps and bounds early this spring with no less than 26 new shoots in its container!
My Alata is also doing well so far so I hope good things to come for the rest.

Anyways, looking forward to learning and sharing with a great group! See you around the forum!
Rick
Bamboo Grower Since 2014
Van-isle-bamboo

Re: Newbie Introduction

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Hi and welcome :D

i live in Comox so your very close to me. I grow a few different boos at my place and I'm always looking for more. Mostly lately it's been the rare and kind of tender clumping ones. It would be beneficial to maybe connect sometime and I could lead you in the path of some great varieties in the area ( if your looking).

Once again welcom.

Kailey in Comox
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

I just noticed spectabalis is shooting too. Is yours?

Kailey in Comox
IslandBooGuy

Post by IslandBooGuy »

Thanks for the welcome Kailey!
I had noticed that you were very close by and hoped we would be able to compare notes and experiences on the local scene, maybe even do some trading-so I will forward you my # for sure.

Only boos shooting for me so far are my Palm boo, Alata and as mentioned my Scabrida which has gone nuts this year.

Hale, Kimmei and Golden Crookstem are not up yet, however I may be looking to do a very careful repot of those this weekend as I don't believe I put them in the best mix when I first planted them. The Kimmei is going into a raised bed as it is such a large variety, I'm sure it resents being potted for sure.

Side note-I'll be driving by you on a work trip to Powell River this morning, I'll be sure to wave, lol!
Rick
Bamboo Grower Since 2014
hydroid

Post by hydroid »

Welcome to the forums.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »