Vancouver Island

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

craig.c
Location info: 0
Victoria BC

Vancouver Island

Post by craig.c »

I'm looking for people or groups that are interested in or already involved in promoting bamboo as an alternate construction source here on Vancouver Island.
PeterBamboo

Re: Vancouver Island

Post by PeterBamboo »

Hi,

I am a bamboo nut. That's a great idea! I am growing a lot of bamboo plants myself. I live on Vancouver Island. Are you connected with other people growing bamboo on Vancouver Island?

You can email me at

Thanks,

Peter.
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

Welcome to the forum and thanks.

Just for the record I am timber bamboonut.
Steve in France

Post by Steve in France »

Hi guys, for the first time in twenty years I was back in BC with my family, sorry not to visit any members but it was a whistle stop tour .My kids and wife had never been to BC so I wanted to show them as much as possible of the place I grew up. We saw old friends and family , rushed around a little too much. Anyway I was very pleased to see many tall Trachy Palms on Vancouver Island , I saw the odd Bamboo , mainly Ps japonica . I was wondering which Timber Bamboos are available in BC ? Also how easy is it to get new Bamboos into Canada ? We may well move back to BC at some point as it's still the best spot in the World .
Back in DC now for more record heat, three months of record heat is getting old real fast.
Thanks
Steve
Always experimenting to get Timber Bamboos Timber size :-)
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Visited Torfino on Vancouver Island a few years ago. A beautiful ealy fall adventure. Fantastic wildlife, great beaches, & woods galore. Flew over the island in a small plane and could not believe the distruction caused by logging. The distruction was close to what I saw in Borneo where they slash & burn. Bamboo may help re soil erosion on the island. Rgds
CJW
in a solid Z9 location.

Post by CJW »

Yes, indeed. Tofino as it is properly named is a very unique area. Winter is very warm in this part of the PNW because of the warm current off the coast. There are all sorts of exotic plants growing there. You probably saw the many Cordyline Australis(es) growing around the town of Tofino.

I do know several people that have decent sized Bambusa Textilis groves with culms in the 2-2.5"dia range
canadianplant

Post by canadianplant »

Ive been looking for any good bamboo sources in Canada for a few months here. Canadas Bamboo World isnt located on the island, ( there in chilliwak) but they have MANY types of bamboo, even some timber