Chinese Walking Stick video

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

kudzu9
Location info: 0
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Chinese Walking Stick video

Post by kudzu9 »

I was out in my yard today, too lazy to work in the heat, but admiring my bamboo, and a little breeze came up as I was standing by my Ch. tumidissinoda. It doesn't take much to get it going, and I took a little video of it to share. I know I won't get any awards for cinematography, but it's quite pretty nonetheless, so indulge me. The grove is about 10' high now and about 15' wide with upwards of a hundred culms. There is a lot of sun on the leaves, so they look much yellower in the video than in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ER_hvKQ3uA4
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Chinese Walking Stick video

Post by Alan_L »

Nice! Thanks for posting.
gunner

Post by gunner »

very nice grove! how old is it? i planted 2 one gal pots not quite 2 yrs ago and they are about two feet wide now and 5/6 ' tall and the interesting thing is they both have whip shoots that come out 8" or so and then dive back down again .very vigorous runner here i guess they show up again 2' away. hopefully they'll look like yours soon!? randy
kudzu9
Location: Greater Seattle, WA, area; Zone 8. Summers:mainly 60's-70's. Winters are rainy, but above freezing except for a few 15 deg F days; 1-2 days of snow max.

Post by kudzu9 »

gunner-
I think it's in its fourth year in the ground. But I will admit that I started out with a 25-gallon pot that had quite a few culms, so it got a bit of a jump start. I planted it in a big mound and that seems to help with rhizome pruning. I agree that it's a very vigorous runner, but the rhizomes are relatively small in diameter (about 1/2") and close to the surface, and it's very easy for me to control. It would be even bigger than what you see in the video, except I've taken quite a few divisions off the perimeter in the last couple of years.
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Gil,
Can't give a high rating on the video - was looking and hoping for a closeup :P. Outside of no zoom-in on the culms (hint, hint) pretty nice for a camera phone - thanks for posting.....
Rick
kudzu9

Post by kudzu9 »

Rick-
You just have to get into the Zen of the movement...think of it as Impressionism! Actually, I was going to take a couple of stills of the culms and try for a sharper video, so give me a day or two.
kudzu9

Post by kudzu9 »

Rick-
Ok, I took some higher quality photos of the grove today. Here's what the base looks like...it's about 6' wide:

and here's what the whole grove looks like:
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

It still looks pretty yellow -- I assume that's still a lighting/exposure issue, and not the true color of the leaves? (The culms photo shows some dark green leaves)

It's such a nice-looking plant!
kudzu9

Post by kudzu9 »

Alan-
All the leaves are a healthy medium-green, like in the first photo, but their light reflection qualities seem to make the top part of the foliage mass record as yellowish in sunlight.