Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

A new use for bamboo?

Post by bambooweb »

I saw an ad for ?Laminated Bamboo Flooring? but it was not for use in a house. It was being sold for the decking on heavy equipment trailers. Because of the strength of the laminated bamboo, you can replace hardwood planks such as Oak with a smaller and lighter bamboo panel allowing trucks to carry heavier payloads. The bamboo panels are also larger than a single hardwood plank so they fill the entire cavity in a trailer so there is less labor installing the bamboo.

The laminated panels do not have a finish that most people would recognize as "Flooring" but as an industrial product meant for driving tractors and other heavy equipment on they do look nice. They also come in a woven bamboo surface or a parallel strand surface.

The panels come in a number of different sizes from 1-1/8" to 3" thick with widths up to 48" and lengths up to 24'.

Now I need to think up a reason to get a plank. :D

Top of flooring:

Side view:

Bill
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice
Location info: 0

RE: A new use for bamboo?

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

That is VERY interesting.

I need to think of a reason too. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The fact that it is made of bamboo is pretty beautiful in and of itself.
Jeff: Igor's Apprentice

Post by Jeff: Igor's Apprentice »

Do you have an online source for this that you would care to share?
Cactus Joe

Post by Cactus Joe »

Wow! That looks pretty strong. I wonder what the engineering stats on those things are. Can they be used for floorings, instead of plywood. Imagine, being able to put down the floor deckingn AND finishing at the same time!
bambooweb
Site Admin
Location info: 1
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by bambooweb »

The dealers website is at http://www.nwbsales.net/detail.asp?reco ... D=4&Cat=12 but they do not have much information.

In the flier that I got from the dealer it had the following information:

LBF=Laminated Bamboo Flooring
SM=Sugar Maple
Oak=White Oak

Modulus of Rupture(Mpa)..............LBF=160......SM=109......Oak=105
Modulus of Elasticity(x1000pa).........LBF=14.5......SM=12.6......Oak=12.5
Work to Maximum Load(in-lbf/m3) .......LBF=65.......SM=16.5......Oak=14.8
Compression Parallel to Grain(Mpa)......LBF=120......SM=54.......Oak=51.3

Bill
queenie

Re: A new use for bamboo?

Post by queenie »

Home designs trends regularly change over time. This decade saw a growing preference for eco-friendly and green homes being built as most people have grown more conscious of protecting the environment by using less energy in homes and more renewable resources. However cost of going green often poses a challenge to the average family. Renewable materials such as bamboo flooring are more expensive than other flooring options like laminate bamboo flooring.
michaelbaldvin

Re: A new use for bamboo?

Post by michaelbaldvin »

bambooweb wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:59 am I saw an ad for ?Laminated Bamboo Flooring? but it was not for use in a house. It was being sold for the decking on heavy equipment trailers. Because of the strength of the laminated bamboo, you can replace hardwood planks such as Oak with a smaller and lighter bamboo panel allowing trucks to carry heavier payloads. The bamboo panels are also larger than a single hardwood plank so they fill the entire cavity in a trailer so there is less labor installing the bamboo.

The laminated panels do not have a finish that most people would recognize as "Flooring" but as an industrial product meant for driving tractors and other heavy equipment on they do look nice. They also come in a woven bamboo surface or a parallel strand surface.

The panels come in a number of different sizes from 1-1/8" to 3" thick with widths up to 48" and lengths up to 24'.

Now I need to think up a reason to get a plank. :D

Top of flooring:

Side view:

Bill
I know this thread is very old but this information is very good... Soo, I use bamboo too for flooring... And Bamboo is a very strong and natural material for flooring I think...