Kudzu

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

thebambooguy
Location info: 0

Kudzu

Post by thebambooguy »

Does anyone know where I could get my hands on some Kudzu? I live in BC and would like to grow some in a large pot. is there anywhere I can get seeds online?
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Re: Kudzu

Post by stevelau1911 »

You can buy it on eBay for pretty cheap but if you are trying to get tubers that can be harvested, you will need to have a heated greenhouse because kudzu is not Frost tolerant, and the growing season in New York is not enough to get you starchy tubers. I did try growing this stuff about 10 years ago and did find that this is a tropical plant.

Kudzu does however grow all over the place in Hawaii. Never got around to trying to harvest the tubers though.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

It grows fine and out of control in southern Indiana.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

It's highly invasive and it can handle freezing temperatures. It can be very invasive in Mediterranean climate or anywhere with mild winter. In colder locations tubers can survive, but they don't necessarily spread like wildfire.
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

I'm not concerned about harvesting it for anything really. I want to grow it as a house plant more or less. It seems really interesting. It actually can survive in Canada they've had problems with it in a couple of areas but that's why I want to restrict it to a pot.