Stairs/bench project

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Re: Stairs/bench project

Post by rfgpitt »

For projects like this, I like spending more time with the challenge of making things work VS spending more up front time planning - amazing how much you can learn. Looks great Fred! - time to cover up the small timber retaining wall above it with bamboo to make it match - should keep you busy a bit longer ; )
Rick
fredgpops
Location info: 0
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Finished the project today. The last phase was to add strctural support, water proof, and add the last coat of polyurathene.
1) The top of the bench had been put on a wet bed of Mason Mix. To add support the the exposed bamboo, I put Mason mix between the top culms.
2) I had to fill in exposed holes, primarily at the end of the bamboo slats. I used two filler techniques:
a) Mason Mix - glued wire in-place prior to filling.
b) HomeFix Repair Filler (super strength).
3) I gave all the bamboo another light sanding with fine sandpaper, cleaned it, and put on another coat of polyurathene.
4) I put water proofing on all exposed Mason Mix areas.
Rgds
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

I'm thoroughly enjoying watching this process. Mostly looking forward to seeing the area after you get it all planted up. Got any specific plans for particular vegetation to put in?
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Not as isolated as it seems. Still needs to develop landscaping above, but pretty developed below.
rgds
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

Oh my- from the first photos in this thread, I'd assumed that the whole area/project was new addition or extension to your existing garden. I can see from these photos how much established foliage you already have. Thanks for posting them. I really enjoy seeing everyone's gardens, and like to form them more fully in context in my head.

Beautiful place!
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Project followup: The Gorilla Glue has held up in heavy rain & cold temps. One slat had to be pulled because it was poorly crafted. Appears a lot of mold is building up in the slat cavities. They should be coated with some form of protection or filled in prior to installation. The color of the bamboo is getting darker. Rgds