Which tree, Kwanzan, Mt. Fuji Cherry Tree, Japanese Maple?

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

BlackThumbNJ

Which tree, Kwanzan, Mt. Fuji Cherry Tree, Japanese Maple?

Post by BlackThumbNJ »

Time to spruce up the grounds.

Need a tree, or two, 15-30' with some interest and hardy in zone 6a. It will be the center of a small group of townhouses. The area is on a hill already, very visible as you drive up, so I was thinking maybe something with a horizontal branching habit.

Candidates so far, Kwanzan or Mt. Fuji Cherry Tree, Japanese Maple(not sure which cultivar, maybe Bloodgood or coral branch). Don't think running bamboo is right for this area.

I see there are some exotic tastes here, wondering what interesting ideas I hadn't considered for this tree of souls.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Which tree, Kwanzan, Mt. Fuji Cherry Tree, Japanese Maple?

Post by Alan_L »

GrowingHabit
Location info: 0

Post by GrowingHabit »

For Japanese Maple, if you like the Bloodgood, take a look at an Emperor 1. I think its a slightly superior tree (limited reasons for thinking so, maybe will even out or change over time). And a great consideration is a US native Vine Maple. Or one of the 'snake bark' maples: Acer capillipes is the variety I've been searching for. I have seen one in a local park's collection, and its... drool worthy.

Another gorgeous cherry is the Yoshino. The thing with cherry trees is that they aren't lovely when winter bare, and are only average when in leaf. Their spectacularness lasts such a short time, and the rest of the year they're rather non-descript. Something to consider if you're wanting year-round specimen impact.

For looks and horizontal habit, what about a 'chocolate' mimosa? I don't know its exact hardiness, but in your zone, reseeding of a mimosa would be a non-issue if it is zonally up to par. The tiny leafletts in fall don't need raking. They dissolve by spring. So do the twigletts, but some people are bothered by the 'mess'. Easy light clean up if so. This tree has folks stopping by while I garden, to ask what it is.

Or a Twisty-baby Locust.

Or a redbud- Forrest Pansy is gorgeous, in particular.

Or.... well, I have a huge list.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

I don't know if it will get large enough, but the Hardy Orange Flying Dragon is certainly interesting and hardy.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
BlackThumbNJ

Post by BlackThumbNJ »

Thanks guys, lots of good ideas and trees I didn't know existed.

The dragon is a little small and maybe marginal for 6a, but I might get one for my own space behind my place. Like so many cool plants, the Chocolate Mimosa is outside my hardiness zone.

Good point about the rest of the year. I was spellbound by the two giant Kwanzan's in bloom now on the center green of my town. Like a teenage girl at boy band concert.

I am beginning to think the space may handle a pair of trees, it's 60' across and 25' deep.
needmore

Post by needmore »

The dragon is very hardy, 6a for sure with moderate damage in subzero temps. Mine both flowered for the first time this year so perhaps I'll get some fruit this summer. I recently found out that there are 2 types and I have each, one hast straight nasty thorns and on the other one they are curved nasty thorns.

Don't recall the cultivar but I have a Redbud tree with deep burgundy leaves until they slowly turn green in late summer. The overall form of the tree is awesome and offers spring and summer foliage color/flowers with year round shape that is pleasing to they eye. Some dogwood also have that great form. I like trees that have great visual interest all year and not just showy flowers.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

The Fly Dragon doesn't breed true, I think only one quarter of the seedlings have the Flying Dragon form. I don't recall if they are self fertile or not.

I tried growing them from seed and had three sprout. Of those three, two had the Flying Dragon form. (I got lucky!) I planted those two out several years ago and still have the standard form in a pot. They seem to cope with our Winters just fine.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

I agree on the paperbark maple... the snakebark maple, and if you can find one, there is a very cool redbud that has almost white leaves... I have only seen them in one garden center, and it was several years ago, so maybe they did not do well, but it was very impressive!
ghmerrill
Location info: 26

Post by ghmerrill »

Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

I had no idea something like that existed Gene! Thanks! Doing a little more research I found this page:

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/fletcher/progra ... index.html

Which lists a lot of cultivars of redbuds with more information. The one Brad might be talking about could be 'Forest Pansy'.
BlackThumbNJ

Post by BlackThumbNJ »

The redbuds are incredible.

http://www.dragontrees.com/dragonpi.html

The Saphire Dragon is interesting, especially the regrowth.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

IowaBoo grows Paulownia, doesn't he? If I remember right, that's a tree that can reseed like crazy... or maybe I'm thinking of something else? I've read it recommended as a large-leaved perennial -- It gets cut to the ground every year, and grows 20-25 ft tall each year.
needmore

Post by needmore »

BlackThumbNJ wrote:The redbuds are incredible.

You may already be aware but the Flying Dragon that FoxD & I were talking about is I believe Poncirus trifoliata and not the Paulonia - and yes, Iowaboo boy has that one.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
GrowingHabit

Post by GrowingHabit »

BlackThumbNJ wrote:The redbuds are incredible.

Paulownia is incredible. But make sure you don't confuse Redbud with it... they aren't the same thing.

Edit to add: Nate- wonderful photos!