Elephant Ears

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

rickw
Location info: 84
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Elephant Ears

Post by rickw »

Anybody know anything about elephant ears? I bought a couple of bulbs from Wally World and can't figure which side is up. They have little pinkish bulges on one end, but are the bulges roots or shoots? Help me out here, I don't want to have to dig them up and turn them over.
marcat
Location info: 28

RE: Elephant Ears

Post by marcat »

:Put them in peat or something keep them moist for a while they willstart growing and then you will be able to tell which way is up.
MarCat
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: Elephant Ears

Post by Roy »

rickw wrote:Anybody know anything about elephant ears? I bought a couple of bulbs from Wally World and can't figure which side is up. They have little pinkish bulges on one end, but are the bulges roots or shoots? Help me out here, I don't want to have to dig them up and turn them over.
Does this picture help any? :D

Giant Elephant Ear bulb
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
rickw
Location: Theodore, AL, just south of I-10 and 1 mile from Mobile Bay, barely 8b

Post by rickw »

Hey, the peat moss idea sounds good, I'll give that a try. Dang things don't come with instructions.

I dug one a couple of days ago that's about the size of that big one. I wasn't sure if it was an elephant ear or banana plant, but there were a couple near it that had new ee leaves coming out. I couldn't believe how much water is in the tops. It's easy to tell which way they go when they've got green stuff on top.
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

One end should have a flat scar maybe the size of a quarter or so, that is the bottom. The top is sort of like a coconut with 3 or so dimples - point them up.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I purchased some of these a few years ago... very nice... "Borneo Giant"

I got mine from http://www.nsexotics.com/servlet/the-Ar ... Categories
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

Allen how cold sensitive are those?
MarCat
mantis
Location info: 22

Re: RE: Elephant Ears

Post by mantis »

marcat wrote:Allen how cold sensitive are those?
MarCat
I planted some at my house last summer, and they died this winter (got down to around 27°F.)
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

The Borneo Giant won't take much below 40 degrees. Along with the elephant ear plants they belong to the "Alocasia" / Airoid family.I have one in a 15g pot. they prefer some shade in the heat of the day but not a lot and grow well in pine bark with lots of leaf mulch to feed off of. Well drained soil but keep em' well watered but not wet feet. If they're too wet the corms will rot on you.

Good luck.

mike
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I think they die back right around 34F, but come back the following year. This year, we didn't get that low and they are in the ground... so they are all doing fine. Once winter hits, the leaves get quite a bit smaller.

I will post pics once the leaves grow larger again. The newest leaves are only about 2 feet or so. Can't wait until the big ones come back.

Here is a picture while it was still in a pot... the first year I got it.

Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
rickw

Re: RE: Elephant Ears

Post by rickw »

needmore wrote:One end should have a flat scar maybe the size of a quarter or so, that is the bottom. The top is sort of like a coconut with 3 or so dimples - point them up.
Ok, I dug them up, washed them off, and planted the ugly side down. The top? is round like a coconut, has rings and emerging pink bumps, and the other end is pointy and has scars. I had them pointy side up before, so hopefully I have them right now.

I did find a link with pics:
http://www.durgan.org/14%20May%202006%2 ... Ears/HTML/
BamaBamboo

Post by BamaBamboo »

I bought a few bulbs last year at Walmart.....I just chucked'em in the ground and BOOM!!!!....Big Elephant Ears last year.....I expect them back with a vengence this year.....Love'em!!!!!!.....
Bamboo....The Gift of the Gods!!!!!
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

First you dam floridainians give me a case of Clum envy, was that enough? Oh hell no. Now its check out my incredibly huge leaves.

:lol:
mr.mike

Post by mr.mike »

Boonut is in Texas son! 8)
Flashburn

Post by Flashburn »

Man, I must be losing my noodles. I would have sworn he was in Florida.