Musa sikkimensis (Red Tiger)

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

ocimum_nate
Location info: 0
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Musa sikkimensis (Red Tiger)

Post by ocimum_nate »

I got a bulk pack of these seeds from this vendor. http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/shop/MusTig.shtml
I have started some of them but I have not had anything come up yet. Has anyone here had success with banana seeds? I haven't been able to do it yet but I have a lot to work with now. If anyone is interested in a trade of some sort also let me know.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

RE: Musa sikkimensis (Red Tiger)

Post by foxd »

I've read about these, they are supposed to be as cold hardy as Musa basjoo. If you can spare some I would like to try germinating them, though I understand that banana seeds are hard to germinate. I have various seeds to trade as well as bamboo and bamboo related items.

My neighbor planted a couple of bananas last year. I'm anxious to see if they survived the Winter. Indiana needs more banana and palm trees.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I grew about 20 or so of those and one or two more within the past few years. I gave some to my dad in Kentucky. I have some in my back yard. They are doing well... and look great. I got mine from banana-tree.com
I have been buying banana trees and seed from them for years now. Very good source. I also purchased MUSA X sikkimensis "Daj Giant" and MUSELLA lasiocarpa "Chinese Yellow Banana" seed. All are doing very well. The Lasiocarpa is very nice.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I have grown quite a few plant from seed. If I remember right, they are very hard. I boiled some water in the microwave and then tossed them in and let the water set overnight, then planted the seed. Some of the harder seed, I use a small file and cut into the hull a little then toss them into the boiling water after I get it out of the microwave.

A little root stimulator or rooting hormone won't hurt in getting them started.

I have some Royal Poinciana seed I am starting that way right now. Lots of trees around here to collect from. I want to have a huge planting of those trees at the farm for color.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com