We get a few warm days...

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

mantis
Location info: 22

We get a few warm days...

Post by mantis »

and my wife is out planting her garden. :laughing1: The tomatoes are currently still in the greenhouse. I told her that she should really wait until the end of Feb., but she's a bit antsy.

One good thing is she pruned our crape myrtle and other trees, and she is wanting a wood chipper to make mulch. Yay! I get a new toy, and I didn't even have to beg for it. 8)
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: We get a few warm days...

Post by Roy »

mantis wrote:and my wife is out planting her garden. :laughing1: The tomatoes are currently still in the greenhouse. I told her that she should really wait until the end of Feb., but she's a bit antsy.

One good thing is she pruned our crape myrtle and other trees, and she is wanting a wood chipper to make mulch. Yay! I get a new toy, and I didn't even have to beg for it. 8)
Tell her you need to get a big chipper to be able to handle the dried bamboo culms. :D
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis

Re: We get a few warm days...

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote:
Tell her you need to get a big chipper to be able to handle the dried bamboo culms. :D
I'm going to get the biggest one I can find for a reasonable price... it looks like the 3" capacity ones are in my budget, and 3" will handle the majority of my boo. Looking at my list, the only ones that have a max. diameter over 3" are lako, 'Mei-nung', G. maxima, and G. amplexifolia. Of those I'm guessing that only 'Mei-nung' will be a potential problem, since the other ones will never reach their maximum diameter in my climate. :)
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

RE: We get a few warm days...

Post by svendrix »

mantis,

Why hold back! Here is the shredder you want! =D

http://www.ssiworld.com/watch/refrigerator.htm

---Sven
mantis

Re: RE: We get a few warm days...

Post by mantis »

svendrix wrote:mantis,

Why hold back! Here is the shredder you want! =D

http://www.ssiworld.com/watch/refrigerator.htm

---Sven
That still might have a problem with 'Mei-nung'. :laughing1:
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

When you decide to get rid of the Mei Nung, give me a call. It can call the Boonut Farm home. Those can get pretty big also. :wink: 8)
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
mantis

Post by mantis »

boonut wrote:When you decide to get rid of the Mei Nung, give me a call. It can call the Boonut Farm home. Those can get pretty big also. :wink: 8)
When I got the Mei-nung I was forced to sign a release saying that I was aware of the BaMV, and that the supplier would not be held accountable for any damage that I might incur if the rest of my boo become effected. :shock:

So knowing that, if you want a chunk of it I will dig you a division later this summer... in an effort to keep it in check I'll be digging divisions of it on a regular basis. :wink:
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Hmm, never heard of the Mei-nung (but looks like another one I can't grow up here!), but came across this link that makes it sound like all Mei-nungs in the US have the Bamboo Mosaic Virus.

http://www.bamboocraft.net/forums/showthread.php?p=4171

Mantis, are you seeing anything like that on your Mei-nung? It is a pretty interesting thread on dealing with the BMV as well. It was the first reference I had read to sterilizing your bamboo cutting/digging tools before going to the other bamboo.

Anyways something to think about if I ever get infected. Well the boo I mean... =D

---Sven
mantis

Post by mantis »

Yeah, I'm not too concerned about the virus spreading to my other plants. I am careful to sterilize my tools whenever I work with it though.

I don't see any signs of the virus in my plant, but I'm going to treat it as if it is infected.

And no, I am not going to destroy my Mei-nung.
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

mantis wrote:
When I got the Mei-nung I was forced to sign a release saying that I was aware of the BaMV, and that the supplier would not be held accountable for any damage that I might incur if the rest of my boo become effected. :shock:

So knowing that, if you want a chunk of it I will dig you a division later this summer... in an effort to keep it in check I'll be digging divisions of it on a regular basis. :wink:
That is one I wouldn't mind having. It was one of the first on my wish list until I read about the virus. Now, I think I know enough to keep it in check and still enjoy the boo. Thanks Mantis... :D
Last edited by boonut on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

I keep a spray bottle of clorox by my Beechy. When I work on it I see the ugly box and don't forget to treat my tools after wards. Do not forget to rinse your tools after the clorox it is hell on metal.
MarCat
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Post by Roy »

svendrix wrote:Hmm, never heard of the Mei-nung (but looks like another one I can't grow up here!), but came across this link that makes it sound like all Mei-nungs in the US have the Bamboo Mosaic Virus. ...............
Beautiful plant. This is a picture of one that is growing at Charlie Crowley's place in Sarasota, Florida, USA:

Last edited by Roy on Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
mantis

Post by mantis »

I finally decided on a chipper... a 3" Bear Cat. The Mei-nung will more than likely get bigger than 3" this year, but I realized that I probably shouldn't make mulch out of it, since that would be about the best possible way to ensure spreading the BaMV. :shock:
mantis

Post by mantis »

Roy wrote:
Beautiful plant. This is a picture of one that is growing at Charlie Crowley's place in Sarasota, Florida, USA:
Yes, it is beautiful, also pretty cold hardy for a bamboo that size... it has taken my 26.9* temps this winter without any damage at all. I can't wait to see it size up... I've never seen anything even close to an 8" diameter culm in person. This is going to be fun. :blob8:
boonut

Post by boonut »

Gracie and I are heading to San Diego in March to see the D. Giganteus "Quail" clone. I will bring calipers to see just how big it is.

Also plan on visiting San Diego Zoo and the bamboo there. I will take pics.

Still waiting to see a Parker larger than 6" in diameter. Lots of EXAGGERATIN' going on with the Incredibly Large boo.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm