We get a few warm days...

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Bamboo Outlaw
Location info: 0
Location: We are less than one hour south of downtown Houston. We are located in Wild Peach, Texas located half way between Brazoria and West Columbia. Exit hwy 36 onto County Road 354. Take County Road 353 west . Go approximately 2.4 miles. We are on the left.

RE: We get a few warm days...

Post by Bamboo Outlaw »

The biggest boo I saw on the big island was appr 6". It was the biggest anyone at the botanical garden had ever seen or heard of.
Steve Carter
Carter Bamboo
http://www.carterbamboo.com

cell (979)665-1897
Brazoria, Texas
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Wow, that is a beautiful boo in those shots Roy! Jealous that my cold weather would kill it here it looks like after viewing the species database. I really want to try some tropicals or semi-tropicals and just winter inside, or experiment with trying to see how hardy some can be in my area during the winter (ie if they just topkill and come back up in the spring, I'm fine for my needs).

This past winter has been the coldest in the past 4 years I've been back here. We reached nighttime lows of 16 for about 3 to 4 days, with daytime lows of 26 afterwards. I'm still too new to know if the bamboo hardiness ratings I see are usually the temp at which the bamboo leaves crisp, or they topkill, or they actually die off completely to become future mulch! My guess is that the answer is "YES!", heh.

---Sven
Roy
Location info: 6
Location: Tampa, Florida, USA,............Florida's SunCoast <Zone 9B-10A>

Re: RE: We get a few warm days...

Post by Roy »

Bamboo Outlaw wrote:The biggest boo I saw on the big island was appr 6". It was the biggest anyone at the botanical garden had ever seen or heard of.
Oh! You mean like this one! (What's a proud papa to do if he can't show off his children.:D )

--------------------------
Roy Rogers
Southern Tampania de la Floridana Universidad (STFU)
STFU Motto: All Bamboos are not Created Equal; @ STFU, the Search Continues
:wave: ROY'S BAMBOO LIST
boonut
Location info: 20
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

I saw the one at Crowley's Roy... it was beautiful. Definitely one of the bigger ones he had. Your Asper is definitely one of the bigger ones I have seen.

The only person I ever talked to that said they saw a bamboo over 6" was Richard Waldron. He said Dr. Chehab in Miami had a 10" Dendrocalamus giganteus at his house. Richard talked about going down and digging me out a division and sending it. I used to laugh when I thought about Richard digging out a 10"+ clumper. It just got more funny when I thought about him shipping me one. I can imagine Richard taking the division into UPS to be shipped out.

Richard was a real character. I miss him.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

http://www.boonut.com
boonut
Location: Harlingen, TX Zone 10, Sunset Zone 27. 33' above sea level. 27 inches of rain/year. 22 Miles to the Laguna Madre. 27 miles to the Gulf of Mexico. 17 miles from Mexico. Lower Rio Grande Valley - Deep South Texas

Post by boonut »

mantis wrote:
boonut wrote:When you decide to get rid of the Mei Nung, give me a call. It can call the Boonut Farm home. Those can get pretty big also. :wink: 8)
So knowing that, if you want a chunk of it I will dig you a division later this summer... in an effort to keep it in check I'll be digging divisions of it on a regular basis. :wink:
Let me know when you have a division and I will make a trip up there and pick it up. I have a special place for it. I won't have to worry about spreading the virus where I plan on putting it. The closest bamboo will probably be 100 feet away. It can grow wild and be free. If it can take your winters, it will be happy here.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

mantis
Location info: 22

Post by mantis »

Just called to order my chipper, and the price of the 3" model went up 20% over last year :cussing:

I was told that the same company offers a 2.75" model with the exact same engine (5.5hp) for 2/3 the cost of the 3".

Not a real tough decision to make.
marcat
Location info: 28

Post by marcat »

I would be careful putting dried culms in one that size. I have an 10hp Troybuilt and it really strains on the thicker culms unless they are still green. You will still find it to be a very usefull tool with you boo.
If you need an extra home for a peice of your Mei Nung I got room.
MarCat
mantis

Post by mantis »

marcat wrote:I would be careful putting dried culms in one that size. I have an 10hp Troybuilt and it really strains on the thicker culms unless they are still green. You will still find it to be a very usefull tool with you boo.
If you need an extra home for a peice of your Mei Nung I got room.
MarCat
Yeah, I wanted to get the 8hp model, but I just couldn't justify spending the $1700.
boonut

Post by boonut »

Just received information on a 12"+ diameter bamboo. I will pass on info when I find out more. May not know more for a few months.

:roll: :shock:
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

mantis

Post by mantis »

Just ran across this while trying to track down something else...

http://www.bambooheadquarters.com/store ... ode=DENLMN

No mention of BaMV... Anyone here in the know if their plant is disease free? I guess I could e-mail them and see what they say.

-mike.
mantis

Post by mantis »

That was fast... already got a reply. If anyone is interested in obtaining a 'Mei-nung', here is the answer in regards to testing for BaMV:
Ralph Evans wrote: No need for testing. You can see it.
The virus doesn't spread in CA due to dry air and the vector isn't here.
It's such a small demand item, and we don't push it.
svendrix
Location info: 25

USDA Zone 6B (possibly 7A/7B/8A depending on who you ask around here, so I am sticking with the most conservative estimate for now)

Elevation 700 feet
Constant winds (10-20 MPH)

Post by svendrix »

Hi Mantis,

You mentioned yours has it I think (you had to sign a waiver, etc). Do you have any photos that show the BaMV on yours? I'm curious as to what it looks like.

Hmm, 2 more years of global warming and I might be able to grow the Mei-nung up this way!

---Sven
mantis

Post by mantis »

svendrix wrote:Hi Mantis,

You mentioned yours has it I think (you had to sign a waiver, etc). Do you have any photos that show the BaMV on yours? I'm curious as to what it looks like.

Hmm, 2 more years of global warming and I might be able to grow the Mei-nung up this way!

---Sven
Not sure if mine has it. It is possibly a carrier, but shows no outward signs of the virus. From what I have been told in the past the only way to know for sure is by having it lab tested.
boonut

Post by boonut »

I have seen the Mei Nung with the virus... and yes, you can tell. BUT, there are other viruses that bamboo can get that look very similar. I have seen several bamboo now that have a similar looking virus and only shows up when the plant is stressed.

In all the research I have seen, Mantis is right... sometimes you can see it, some times you can't. But, it can spread and the only way to know for sure is to have it tested.
Allen D. Aleshire
Bamboo Nut Farm

mantis

Post by mantis »

Got my chipper on Friday. I wish I would have bought one of these a couple years ago. It is bar none the funnest toy I've gotten in a long while. :lol: I'm going to be roving the neighborhood and grabbing all of the prunings I see just to have an excuse to fire it up. 8)