BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:36 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:24 am 

Newbie here! :?

The back of my garden is incredibly overlooked (new build!). I'd like to create a living privacy screen above the fence and after a bit of research am thinking bamboo could be a good way to go.

BUT, I'm a bit nervous about what I've read about runners and containing them!

I came across Narihiri bamboo (Semiarundinaria fastuosa) which looks very nice, is tall and takes up little horizontal space, but I seem to be finding contradictory information as to whether it is a runner or clump-forming?

Does anyone have any direct experience with this plant or expert knowledge who could help demystify?

I'm also stumped as to the best way to contain it. Barrier in the ground? Raised sleeper bed? Or raised concrete block bed? Something else?

The garden isn't huge so we're trying to conserve space - how wide should the planting area be? I was thinking around 40-50cm?

TIA!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:38 pm 

Semiarundinaria fastuosa is running, but how much it spreads each year depends on your climate.

Raised bed will not contain running bamboo. In ground barrier is best option for containment, but can be difficult to install, especially in a narrow area. Plus the bamboo will eventually become rootbound, as if you were growing it in a large pot. Finally, 40-50cm (16-20") is probably okay, as long as the length of the bed is 3m or more. Longer is better because more space for rhizomes means taller plants with thicker culms (stems).