BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Starts from Seed
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:49 pm 

Well, sounds like I should have done some research and found this group before I bought 9 packets of 100 each of bamboo seeds from a USA seller. I strained them, rinsed them with the salt water as directed, placed them in a cup of water at 8am this morning for the 24 hours. Had read they are like beans, when you soak them the good ones sink and the bad ones float. And, of course, all of mine are floating. Looks like I need to look into buying bamboo shoots instead of seeds. Any advice on buying shoots, pricing to expect, what kind is best (I'm in Oklahoma, zone 7) where to look to buy would be much appreciated. I will continue reading the forums to learn more. They are so beautiful.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:41 am 

Update on my seed experiment. I planted two separate batches at the end of June, and early July. I'd figured that by the first week in August I would have seen something. But, alas nothing by August 1st I hadn't seen any sprouting. So, this past weekend assuming my seed experiment had failed, I was going to toss the potting soil back into a bigger container and call it quits with bamboo seeds. And yet when I checked, I had 4 seedlings! So, not a complete failure. I think I planted roughly 80 seeds, so I got a 5% germination rate. Here's a picture of what's supposed to be a moso seedling. I realize that it may turn out to be something totally different than what the vendor advertised. The weather here in the Sierra Foothills has been very warm (and very smokey), so perhaps the heat helped with germination.

Attachments:
0807181806.jpg
0807181806.jpg [ 501.19 KiB | Viewed 332 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:49 am 

Took way more than it should for them to sprout, but they did. Good luck and have fun!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:43 am 

Update on my seed experiment. I still have about 6 of the Fargesia 'Jiuzhaigou' IV seedlings (if that's what they really are) and 6 of the P. Edulis seedlings going. They're not exactly taking off like gangbusters, but they are doing well and still alive. One of the F. Jiuzhaigou IV seedlings is showing a black culm and variegated leaf, which I presume is a good sign that it might actually be a F. Jiuzhaigou. I'll probably pull them inside as the weather gets colder here in the Sierra foothills.

I also picked up a 5 gallon P. Vivax today from Craig Thiessen of Bamboo Mountain. He was also kind enough to give me a flowering P. nigra 'megurochiku'. I'm excited to try some more seed experiments when the seeds look mature enough to harvest.