BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Containment Method
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:25 am 

I recently purchased 5 segments of 4' diameter × 4' long steel culvert as means to keep my bamboo from spreading. I plan to either place them in the ground 3' with 1' exposed or above ground with 1' below ground and 3' above. I would prefer to use the use the second option as there would be much less digging required. If I use the second option is it possible to loose containment? Also will the raised planting increase stress on the plants due to swings jn root temp? I plan to drop bambusa oldhammi in and I live in zone 9b. Any thoughts or opinions on either method would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Containment Method
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 am 

Location: Amador County, CA on 5 acres with mostly phyllostachys bamboos in zone 7 they say
Oldhammi isn't even a runner, there is no need to use steel culverts to contain it. In Stockton it will size up good. I was growing some in Sacramento at one point.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:03 am 

If that's the case then I can plant the oldhamii at my rear property line without worry. I have been wanting some vivax or nigra also. Will these species be contained in methods mentioned above? The location I would place in would be within 30' of my well and 40' of my neighbors well so I would rather not be wrong about full containment for atleast 10 years with proper maintenance ofcourse.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:55 pm 

Location: Amador County, CA on 5 acres with mostly phyllostachys bamboos in zone 7 they say
There is a lot of information on this site about the difference between runners and clumpers and containment methods you can check out. But no Oldhamii will not travel 30' to a well, it is a clumping bamboo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:16 pm 

In my response I was asking about Vivax or Nigra....I won't waste the culvert on the Oldhamii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:57 am 

The culvert will contain any Phyllostacys, like vivax and nigra. But they will become root bound and not thrive in that tight a space. In good growing conditions, the culvert section will be filled with a dense mass of roots in a few years.