BAMBOOWEB.INFO
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:59 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:47 pm 

First looks like my bissetii shoots too. The second shows that Ph. aurea is not cold-hardy enough for us in MO. :)

Here's my bissetii:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:16 pm 

Alan_L wrote:
First looks like my bissetii shoots too. The second shows that Ph. aurea is not cold-hardy enough for us in MO. :)

Yeah I was kind of wondering why they had it at the park (its in a japanese stroll garden) I guess as long as it doesnt downsize and keeps the neat looking culms it has some value.
EDIT: Also I neglected to mention they have one more boo there that I noticed. I identified it as Phy. Aureosulcata Spectablis by the look of the culms and the 'feel' of the sulcus. Both the (supposed) Bissetii and the (supposed) Spectablis faired much better than the Aurea.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:55 pm 

wolfedg wrote:
Bought this one from Maya gardens last year. It took a bad hit last winter, but sent up six new shoots about the same as last year this year. Seems to be an agressive runner/shooter that shoots early. Culms fade from bright green to olive yellow/green. Upon posting the pictures on the shoots thread , some of you are uncertain of
it's ID as atrovaginata. Any thoughts on what it is?

Late to respond as I am just getting time to read the forums. I bought a one gallon "Atro" from Maya gardens as well, hoping to fill the area near my marsh. Mine looks to be the same as yours, maybe misidentified. Mine took a hit last winter as well, along with all my in-ground boo's (down to -5 deg. F for one night). It was affected a little less than the rest, sending up shoots around the same time as Aureosulcata. I would think Bissetii (as it is thought to be in actuality) would have held up better. It was in the ground for one year though, and may not have been established enough.

"Narrow minds are rarely hit by bullets of wisdom."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:51 am 

@Bobblehead Pete
Good to know someone who got their 'Atro' from the same source at around the same time, and don't even live too terribly far apart. We should keep in touch.