Boo-Shoots 2016

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

dependable
Location info: 0

Re: Boo-Shoots 2016

Post by dependable »

It is still cool & early for most shoots here. But 'Spectabilis' is beginning to shoot. Perhaps it is does shoot in cooler conditions.

In "normal" years when it is warmer, bissetti and regular aurosulcata are along at about the same time.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

dependable wrote:It is still cool & early for most shoots here. But 'Spectabilis' is beginning to shoot. Perhaps it is does shoot in cooler conditions. In "normal" years when it is warmer, bissetti and regular aurosulcata are along at about the same time.
In this cool climate given an early & "warm" spring we can see Phyllostachys aureocaulis 'Aureocaulis' shoots as early as 12 May, however early June is usually the case. Night temps till about 20 June are still too cool to put cucumber transplants out so..........I guess one could say aureosulcata is a cool shooter, parvifolia was supposed to be as well. So far there's only signs of Rufa and Scabrida shoots here and while spring has been very early this year April has been downright chilly.

john, +8c @ 11am
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-05-01 at 11.01.38 AM.png
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Phy bambusoides 'Albovariegata'
balbo1.JPG
balbo2.JPG

Indocalamus hamadae
hamadae.JPG

Borinda angustissima
bangus.JPG
grape.JPG
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
T9D

Post by T9D »

needmore wrote:Phy bambusoides 'Albovariegata'
Look at that tiny bamboo, and hardly any of them. What a noob :P
zxylene

Post by zxylene »

needmore wrote: Hispida looks right on those shoots, a really nice bamboo. I thought the one I brought to CA was dead but it pushed 5 tiny shoots from a bare rhizome so I'm hopeful it will take off again.
Well if yours doesn't take off or make it let me know and I'll send some out. It sounds like it will do fine.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Appreciate the offer! I am assuming that my mother patch in Indiana is thriving so we both should have backup if needed!
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

An update on my Vivax ('Aureocaulis')
The new shoot is about 3 feet now and looking good...but what's this??
Perhaps I'm mistaken as I'm an absolute noob to this but that looks like Vivax 'Huangwenzhu Inversa'.
I'm fairly certain the parent plant was Vivax 'Aureocaulis',. Did my plant change types on me?
needmore wrote:Appreciate the offer! I am assuming that my mother patch in Indiana is thriving so we both should have backup if needed!
Oh, did you keep your home in Indiana? Would'nt mind visiting sometime if your ever back in the area and I can make it out there.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
T9D

Post by T9D »

Does indeed look like inversa. That's a nice big shoot coming up for such a small plant in the back.
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

T9D wrote:Does indeed look like inversa. That's a nice big shoot coming up for such a small plant in the back.
Sadly the plant took a lot of winter damge. I'm guessing it was mainly due to it being a <1yr plant and it is in a fully exposed location. But it does get a LOT of sun there so it probably was able to store a lot of energy up last summer.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

wolfedg wrote: Perhaps I'm mistaken as I'm an absolute noob to this but that looks like Vivax 'Huangwenzhu Inversa'.
I'm fairly certain the parent plant was Vivax 'Aureocaulis',. Did my plant change types on me?
You are totally correct. Vivax aureocaulis is not very stable and more mature groves will often throw up huangwenzhu, huangwenzhu inversa and the plain green form.
Next year you'll find out if it is just that one culm that mutated or if it happened in the rhizome as well. My aureocaulis has behaved so far, we'll see what this shooting season brings.
springtimeshoots

Post by springtimeshoots »

wolfedg wrote:
T9D wrote:Does indeed look like inversa. That's a nice big shoot coming up for such a small plant in the back.
Sadly the plant took a lot of winter damge. I'm guessing it was mainly due to it being a <1yr plant and it is in a fully exposed location. But it does get a LOT of sun there so it probably was able to store a lot of energy up last summer.
I live on a bordering 7a zone and Vivax doesn't do very good here either in an unprotected area, regardless of the age. Over here Vivax gets damaged practically every year. If it isn't the cold that's top kills them, it's the ice, wind and snow that breaks the culm. And I've had my doubts for sometime now about the hardiness that is always quoted online because when temperatures begin to plummet in the single digits, some of the vivax culms die off.

Sadly, if it doesn't do well in the next few years I might be adamant enough just to dig it up and plant a hardy species in it's place.

needmore wrote:
I was told by Adam Turtle, a very wise bamboo guy, to leave a planting alone until the 4th year, then remove a portion of the older stuff/start making divisions. I also took the time to pull all weeds, remove grass, water as needed and feed with manures. Despite some severe winter setbacks I felt like I saw good results in terms of upsizing. Then by year 4 groves had spread plenty so I started leaving only the largest shoots that came up in a visually pleasing profile relative to the other culms. I was happy with the results but I'm sure there are other/better approaches.
Thank you for your insight.

What is your opinion on sectional pruning? The reason why I ask this is because two sections of my grove, the east and part of the north portion are substantially skinnier than the other two sides. I suppose I could prune or dig up the entire outer east side completely and let the significantly larger ones in the inside move on out faster.

stevelau1911 wrote:You could probably do what Mshaffer does and bury in a bunch of logs, mulch, or other organic materials into your ground after taking out all the weeds, as well as removing a lot of the smaller culms to reduce too much transpiration. If you look at his picture carefully, you will see a large rotting log right around where he's getting his enormous new moso shoots.

Having a well mulched ground can help with water retention, and really improve the soil profile so that you can have lots of worms, bacterial and myccorhizae to make really soften up your hard clay soil. If you are in OKC, you probably have pretty tough soil, and you probably don't get rain that frequently. Rhizomes going through a huge layer of nice loose soil should have plenty of space to spread their roots and suck in nutrients/ oxygen to start sending up some giant shoots.

I think it's even fine if you load a foot of much onto your groves, then water them in well. I believe henon should have much better size potential than that for you.

Another option is to simply put in different species that tend to focus on size over numbers earlier.
For sure, I also definitely believe Henon hasn't reached it's size potential in my zone. My only gripe is the amount of time it will take and how much space will be needed to ensure optimal growth. If it needs thousands of square feet to roam free to grow big and happy, I might just be out of luck, lol. :lol:.

What other species of bamboo would you recommend me planting? I've thought about Parvifolia
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

springtimeshoots wrote:
wolfedg wrote:
T9D wrote:What other species of bamboo would you recommend me planting? I've thought about Parvifolia
Good question. I too wonder how P. parvifolia has fared in the East after their past 2 knockout winters?

Meanwhile the first shoots appeared on Daba Shan #2 in the past few days. A shot taken standing on one foot in the midst of an Erythronium bed.

john
Attachments
Fargesia dracocephala Daba Shan #2.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
needmore

Post by needmore »

Small sections may just be immature rhizomes that fire too young or somehow got severed or something, I don't think it will have an impact either way if you cull them.

I'm not sure what you have but Yellow Groove & Spectabilis are well worth growing, Atrovaginata for sure, personally I like it better than Parvifolia. Depends how 7a you are, Dulcis, Praecox, Rubromarginata are likely to do well above zero.
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

Jiuzhaigou 1
Attachments
05.05.16 06.06 PM.jpg
"memory is the future of the past"
Tarzanus