How cold is too cold for new shoots?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

rcb1
Location info: 0

How cold is too cold for new shoots?

Post by rcb1 »

It looks like they're calling for a light freeze tomorrow night - down to about 30F.

I've got some Bissetti and Aureosulcata shooting right now, with the tallest shoots now about a foot tall. I'm hoping this isn't going to be a problem?

From the results Google comes back with (which isn't much), it sounds like it might have to get a lot colder than that to kill the shoots?

I'm sure I'm just worrying too much, but these have only been in the ground since 2018 and this group of shoots will be a major upsize. They look like they should be about to have a great year - there's close to zero leaf loss, and based on where the shoots are, my four little shrubs are going to be a complete hedge. So, I'm a little paranoid about anything happening to them! :lol:
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: How cold is too cold for new shoots?

Post by Alan_L »

I wouldn't worry too much about 30ºF -- but I know from experience that thinner shoots (like Fargesia 'Rufa') get whacked by 26ºF. I don't know the exact temp that wiped them out. I suspect that thicker shoots like from Phyllostachys will handle those low temps better. It's also important how long the temp stays low.

I think you'll be okay though, as long as the forecast is accurate and your microclimate temps aren't lower than forecast.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Under 30F will likely be problematic and as Alan said micro-climates would concern me. I don't recall the exact temps but I've had shoots fine with a light freeze and fully whacked in the upper 20's. One year I did more damage trying to protect them than the cold ended up doing so be careful not to use hot manure like dummy me did...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
dependable

Post by dependable »

Another factor is wind. I've seen new shoots get burned at just below freezing in high wind, but OK in sheltered spots. If you can put a light cloth covering or tarp of some sort, without breaking shoots, it would help them get though a quick frost unscathed.