Growing Bamboo in High Desert

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

benbodey
Location info: 0

Growing Bamboo in High Desert

Post by benbodey »

I am thinking about planting running bamboo along a fence line to screen out a neighbor. The annual rainfall here Culver, Oregon, is only 11 inches. It is considered high desert, or scrub land. Very little grows here without irrigation. Can I control it by limiting the water supply?
dependable

Re: Growing Bamboo in High Desert

Post by dependable »

I think the low water supply will limit growth, and will have to water to get it established. If you run a soaker hose the length of your screen planting, the new growth will tend to stay near the water supply. It will send out rhizomes to explore other areas, but with no water, they will not thrive.

If it is critical the bamboo does not cross the fence line, then you should consider a barrier in addition to water management to control spreading.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

Your Climate is probably similar to mine in South West Idaho. We average about 13.5 inches at my place but Treasure Valley in General gets 10-13 on average. If you have shade many of the hardier Fargesia are doing well for me and I had a lot of potted Phyllostachys last year that did well but being in town I am limiting what I am planting from that group. It will need adequate moisture .If you are in a a wide open area with lots of drying winds you will probably get some winter burn on many of the varieties but they leaf out quickly in the spring. It will only grow where it is irrigated in our climate but if your neighbor is watering the runners will find a way without a barrier .
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
benbodey

Post by benbodey »

Thanks for your input. That is what I needed to know.