Phy bambusoides Albovariegata

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Phy bambusoides Albovariegata

Post by needmore »

Been growing this bamboo in ground about 2 years and my observation is that the culms do not produce new leaves after the year in which they emerge - they look crappy and need to be culled in the second year. Anyone else growing this see the same thing or is it perhaps a local conditions thing. I saw the same thing from Phy aureosulcata Harbin back in Indiana.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Cooper12

Re: Phy bambusoides Albovariegata

Post by Cooper12 »

Hi Brad, mine at my last place would push new leaves in the spring , highly variegated but would dull out to a light green by July with hardly any variegated leaves . Plant always looked off after that point. Even under good shade. I do miss my bambusoides varieties though.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hi Brad,

I grew albovariegata for 3 seasons before in succumbed to the cold. It never seemed to have many leaves, but I thought that was just from losing them to the cold. Yes, it acted a lot like Harbin.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

The new culms on mine are quite colorful when they leaf out, at this point I see lots of junky dried leaves on last years culms and this year's crop is starting to look worn out. I limbed up the culms and it is/was an attractive clump but me thinks it will be culled.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com