Observations of Parvifolia over 13 years

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Observations of Parvifolia over 13 years

Post by David »

I've grown Ph. parvifolia in Middle Tennessee for approximately 13 years, and these are the observations I've made regarding its growth.

Ph. parvifolia is an exceptionally hardy large bamboo. It is at least as hardy as vivax, and may be a 1/2 a growing zone more hardy than vivax.

Parvifolia is a heavy feeder, uses lots of nitrogen, and enjoys yearly doses of micro nutrients especially iron. Given proper nutrition and adequate water this is an exceptionally fast growing bamboo.

When young, parvi produces shoots at approximately 45°, and large masses of small deep green leaves cover the culms from top to bottom.
This seems to be an adaptation of immature parvi to quickly produce as much energy as possible by exposing more of the leaves to the sun.

Parvifolia is among the first bamboo to roll its leaves during hot and/or dry weather which helps this rapidly growing plant to conserve water.

In the spring, given adequate nutrition, parvifolia produces masses of deep green small leaves. The small leaves create, in total, a larger surface area than bamboo with larger leaves. As the heat of summer progresses the plants will drop leaves to balance the plant, but will always have more leaf mass than its brethren.

When mature, parvi seems to loose its tendency to lean out and grows upright. I think this plant is capable of 4" culms given proper nutrition. I have measured a 3" cane to be 43' tall.

Parvifolia is thin walled but does not seems to break as much under ice loads as vivax. The seasoned canes resist cracking especially if the septums are removed. The wood is thin but really "snappy".

The canes split well green or cured.
Attachments
A young grove of parvifolia showing omnidirectional shooting at approximately 45°. Notice the masses of small leaves, and branches near the bases of the culms.
A young grove of parvifolia showing omnidirectional shooting at approximately 45°. Notice the masses of small leaves, and branches near the bases of the culms.
12 year old grove of parvifolia. All of the mature culms are upright, and the tendency to produce shoots at 45 degrees seems to be gone.
12 year old grove of parvifolia. All of the mature culms are upright, and the tendency to produce shoots at 45 degrees seems to be gone.
A mature culm of parvifolia measuring 3.5". I think with proper nutrition and enough time 4" culms may be possible.
A mature culm of parvifolia measuring 3.5". I think with proper nutrition and enough time 4" culms may be possible.
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Observations of Parvifolia over 13 years

Post by needmore »

Looks great David! I have a smaller patch in North CA that I'll be culling if someone nearby wants to dig it out they can have it, right now it would be a manageable dig that would produce a few 15-20 gal divisions.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Hey Brad,

Is your parvi not doing well?
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

It's doing fine but upon discovering how many of the Bambusa plus a couple Dendrocalamus I can grow well here, I'm finding them more interesting to grow and less of an issue when I sell and move on. I have quite a few Phyllostachys and a couple rare ones but I think I'll cull most of them. Hopefully someone nearby with more space would like them.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
rfgpitt
Location info: 24

Post by rfgpitt »

Great info David. Just thought I’d chime in and offer my thoughts.

With the work involved, health, job, kids, etc., etc., I stopped growing all the Phyllostachys except the parvifolia that came from Tennessee :wink: .

Mine was planted in 2008. I’ve found in western PA the bamboo has to be shielded from wind to do well. Mine is not. The “windsuck” is quite a problem here. Most years it gets 1/3 top killed by wind and cold. It can take short stints in single digits, but most years we have multiple stints that get below 20* for several days when the ground is frozen. Even established yellow groove groves get decent damage every year (even if protected).

My goal was to try to get decent sized culms. After a few years, I removed my plantings of nuda, bissetii, aureosulcata & a. ‘Spectabilis’, and vivax ‘Aureocaulis’. The parvifolia was outperforming the rest in culm size.

This winter was the mildest we’ve had since I can remember. More than likely it was able to continually pull water. No low temps zapped it. First year that it’s not been setback at all. I am excited and hopeful for a size up this year.

Below are some videos from November and January. It looks the same now. The deer not only rub their antlers, but play with it and eat it. I’ll try to remember to post a picture after this seasons growth if indeed it gets a bit bigger.

Stay safe (COVID-19)!!!

Youtube videos:
Nov 2019

Nov 2019 #2

Nov 2019 #3

Jan 2020
Rick