Good news, bad news

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Good news, bad news

Post by needmore »

And I think some people have C culeou also in flower? Makes me wonder if they all are different clones of the same thing, I suspect there are folks who can prove otherwise but still. I collected native A gigantea in Indiana several years ago and one of the groves had a demarcation line where the physical attributes of the plant suddenly changed - a section of attractive dark green bamboo in the 8-10 foot range suddenly turned into something about 3-4 feet high that filled the rest of the space. Seeing them in another context you would not connect the dots...
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Ref. ABS species list Gigantea " is closely allied with C. culeou". How it's allied is not indicated. Rgds
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Color on seed clusters continues to fade as clusters dry out and seeds drop. Volume of dropped seeds up substantially. Size of seeds is far less than I projected. Small and light means more seed potential spread of Gen. 2 (?). Last call for folks who want seeds.
Attachments
005ab.jpg
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

updated photo of a seed cluster. Pull test indicates seeds hold firm until plant is ready to release them.
Attachments
002ab.jpg
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Photo of tarp under the plant to catch seeds.
Attachments
008ab.jpg
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Volume of seeds falling off has increased dramatically. The seed size of fallen seeds seems to have increased as seeds from the mid-area of the clusters fall.
Last week I indicated that most seeds were still firmly attached. This is no longer the case. Estimated count of seeds dropped to date is difficult. I would give it a very rough estimate of 1000 to 1500 seeds with at least an equal amount still attached. Free seeds are still available.
Attachments
002a.jpg
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Photo show seeds pushing away from seed clusters prior to detaching.
Attachments
005a.jpg
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Although there are still some seeds on the plant, I cut off the culms that flowered. I read on the ABS website, some time ago, that there was a chance you could get the non-flowering culms to live if you carefully separated them from the flowering culms. Unfortunately the separation technique has been deleted so I had to wing it. I believe that I achieved a good separation and have replanted four non-flowering culms.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Re flower free Llaima culms that I segregated and transplanted - alive and well. Re seeds planted 6/3/19 and after - no sign of new plants.
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

Llaima (I was misspelling it Lliama) update: Planted first seeds 4 mths ago. No seedlings have been produced. Others who recvd seeds have also reported no results re seedlings. I segregated 4 culms that showed no signs of flowering. 1 started to flower a couple of weeks ago. Two other growers of Llaima have reported no flowering. All come from the same mother plant. Pretty confusing. Rgds
fredgpops
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

When the Lliama flowered, I came across a experiment done on flowering plants where non flowering culms mixed with flowering culms were dug out and replanted after pruning off roots closest to the flowering culms. I dug out 4 culms and replanted them. Several months have gone by and 3 of the 4 culms are still alive. Rgds