Moving Phyllostachys

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Moving Phyllostachys

Post by Deane »

I want to move quite a few Phyllostachys from my nursery which are all in the ground to my new house I know I now need to wait until autumn but which mouth? And any advice on moving them would be appreciated
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Re: Moving Phyllostachys

Post by fredgpops »

I try to avoid any activity (transplanting, etc) in months with potential extremes - cold, hot, wind. I want to get deep, wet, and full root balls when moving in ground plants. I'm guessing that mid spring in your best time. I'm guessing your best plant recovery is mid to late spring/early summer. You know best when plants typically shoot so how early to move/transplant must factor min damage to new buds. My knowledge of your zone is zilch but ........
dependable

Post by dependable »

Like fredgpops said, I've had good results moving and planting Phyllostachys groves in spring too, but it does have to be before they shoot.

The next good window to move them seems to be when the new growth has hardened off and put finished putting out its first batch of leaves. Good to move them before the rhizomes do their late summer/fall spreading, if cool enough. In any case good to move well before frost, if you can.

What months are best really depends on climate where you are. For instance, yours may have already shooted this spring, where I probably have another couple of weeks due to location and cold spring.
springtimeshoots

Post by springtimeshoots »

In a place like the UK I bet you can move them anytime of the year. Obliviously you want to try and avoid digging them up in the middle of shooting season.
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

I'd move them after they are done shooting, I'd say like a month or two after. That way they should still grow rhizomes in the fall and shouldn't be too affected in the following spring. Get ready for the absolute pain of trying to move rooted bamboo though I've done it one too many times haha!
iain

Post by iain »

They say it is best to choose a cool, still, overcast day, when moving plants, to limit transpiration. The last time I dug out a bamboo, I rolled it onto a tarpaulin sheet before dragging it (kicking and screaming) from the hole. It is a good thing to fine spray before wrapping the rootball for transportation. But you probably know this.
Boohoo?
Deane

Post by Deane »

Thanks for all the help, I am going to move in August, the trouble is the manageable plants I am going to move have put up inch culms this year but ha ho that’s life
iain

Post by iain »

I have found a trenching spade makes excavating easier. You could be surprised by the size of the rootball. I had a 5 litre pot of Phyllostachys aureosulcata "Spectabilis' in a barrel for one year, in-ground for two years, and the rootball measured 3ft across, 3ft down. I had to cut it in half with a carpenter's saw before I could move it. That's another thing, depending on how intact the rootball is, if folliage starts withering reduce the culm.
Boohoo?