Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Re: Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Tarzanus wrote:Looks more and more like HB 'Shiroshima'.
Thank you for posting photos, it's nice to see how they develop. It will be interesting the following spring as they may start setting first larger shoots. They should look great!

Regressing into P. aureosulcata would only be possible if it's chimeric and only if it's hybrid of P. nigra and P. aureosulcata. Could that be the case?

Not too sure at the moment. Time will tell if it’s a hybrid.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Tarzanus wrote:Looks more and more like HB 'Shiroshima'.
Thank you for posting photos, it's nice to see how they develop. It will be interesting the following spring as they may start setting first larger shoots. They should look great!

Regressing into P. aureosulcata would only be possible if it's chimeric and only if it's hybrid of P. nigra and P. aureosulcata. Could that be the case?
It will be a while until I can take some pictures of my plant (if I don't forget) but my "nigra" aureo variegata definitely does not look like Shiroshima (which I also have so I can make direct comparisons)

The leaves are very small on the variegata, almost like edulis and the variegation turns really yellow if it is outside under full sun.
So far mine hasn't upsized enough to make a definitive ID if it is a proper phyllostachys. The culms are staying suspiciously small which I've only experienced in seedlings.
Maybe this is because of the tissue culture propagation that apparently took place or because the mother plant indeed was a seedling.

The culms on my plant are not turning the typical black/brown of nigra punctata and just fade to a dull yellow.
What I do get is lots of sun bruising which turns the culms a black/purple color similar to violascens / praecox, but this is something that quite a few phyllostachys do.

Nigra punctata starts off with rough culms just like the aureosulcatas and hence I'd be reluctant to think this is a hybrid as this would be an exceedingly rare event.

All the best,
Nicholas
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hi, I just wanted to give an update on the mystery bamboo.
I still have no idea what to think about this.
The culms are not really turning black, though they take on an almost black hue due to sunburn when they are young.

I must say I like the foliage color - It is quite yellow
Attachments
20190505_101552.jpg
20190505_101458.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Characteristics:
- Extremely fuzzy culm sheath (even more than regular nigra I suppose)
- turns black when exposed to sun
- yellow-green culms (most likely fade to yellow)
- glossy culm texture
- leaf variegation

:D

PS: I have seen fuzz on culms of earlier photos. Your photos seem to show shiny culm texture without any fuzz. Are there tiny hairs on the culms or is the surface smooth?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Tarzanus wrote: PS: I have seen fuzz on culms of earlier photos. Your photos seem to show shiny culm texture without any fuzz. Are there tiny hairs on the culms or is the surface smooth?
Yes, new culms are hairy/rough like nigra or aureosulcata.
So far the older culms aren't really turning black but this may simply take more time.

Here are some newer pictures.
Phyllostachys or not, you decide ...

All the best,
Nicholas
Attachments
20190601_p2.jpg
20190601_p1.jpg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I don't see why it wouldn't be Phyllostachys. Well, it has quite thin culms, but it could happen for a year or two before it pushes out upsized shots. Branching seems legit for Phyllostachys.

What is somewhat interesting is, that it looks something like my arcana seedlings. They are not rough, though. And they are upsizing quite nicely - yet, the color scheme...
Photo: Phyllostachys arcana (Luteosulcata) seedling
IMG_20190602_143852.jpg
Deane

Post by Deane »

Well my plant outside is growing very well but the one in a greenhouse is doing even better and the variegation is fabulous far better than my Nigra Kyoshi
Attachments
379323C6-C06B-4027-B229-8C08EE7A14AB.jpeg