Cool Coastal Climate

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

heato
Location info: 0

Cool Coastal Climate

Post by heato »

Hi Everyone,
Interested in bamboo and have a question about cool coastal climates.

I live in Eureka, CA and it is very mild. We are zone 9b so our lowest annual temperature is 25 degrees F. But what I'm concerned about is not that our climate is too cold, but rather that it's not warm enough. Our annual variation(high/low) is 64/53 in August and 55/41 in December.

Will the big clumpers do okay up here? I'm really interested in clumping bamboo with large diameter culms. I'd like to grow a 1,000 sf bamboo forest.

Any thoughts?

So far I'm interested in bambusa oldhamii, balcooa, and beecheyana. Will these ever be happy in "jacket weather"?
Tarzanus

Re: Cool Coastal Climate

Post by Tarzanus »

I'm not sure about tropical giants, I think they won't be as fast growing and happy as in warmer locations, but should do OK. I don't know what diameter culms you can expect though and how slow they would grow.

I would definitely try growing bamboos from Borinda family - these are also clumpers, not as large, but they can look fabulous in right conditions. And cool and mild conditions are just ideal for them.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I have never gardened in a climate like yours, but based on my experiences with subtropical bamboo, and conversations with people who have grown bamboo in your general area, I do not believe that you will have enough heat for Bambusa species to perform well. They need an extended period of very warm temperatures to produce and mature their culms.

You might want to contact Gib Cooper at Tradewinds Bamboo Nursery. His nursery is not too far from your area, and he would be able to help you make wise selections for your climate.
heato

Post by heato »

Thanks Guys! I'll definitely get in touch with Gib. That nursery is located right on the coast in the same zone!
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

Id try Borinda boliana and Borinda lushiensis
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
tallgrass

Post by tallgrass »

Have lots of clumpers in mckinleyville. Contact me and I will share all the info I have. Welcome to the cool coast.
Mr.Bean
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Mr.Bean »

Definitely visit Tradewinds in Gold Beach. Gib pointed out a few Bambusa he's been trying there when I visited. As others have said, it's just not warm enough for satisfactory growth of Bambusa.

On the other hand, Borinda lushuiensis is stunningly beautiful and as large as many Bambusa species (though obviously not the timber types).
Evan
ruse

Post by ruse »

*mostly posting so i can follow the advice here.*
I am also in the humboldt area. I know next to nothing about growing bamboo though. just transplanted some clumping bamboo and trying to get it to survive. would love to get some larger varieties but it sounds like that might not go so well here.
Tiv

Post by Tiv »

I live in the Coos Bay area and got some nice Castillion from RKR Bamboo Plantation in Coquille. They had some timber bamboo. It has been a few years since I was last there but they were super helpful. Might want to google the phone number and call them before heading there because it is run by an older couple and I don't know their hours.

I have thought about putting some timber bamboo in but it is a bit hard to find the perfect spot knowing how large they can get. Humbolt gets more fog then we do so I have no idea no how it would grow for you.