Post by mshaffer »

The Euro model shows DC being -5.8 F on Wednesday morning.. ouch
Attachments
january2019weather.png
Tarzanus
Location info: 0

Re: Cold air next week.

Post by Tarzanus »

We are having the opposite in Europe. Tonight and tomorrow, it's going to be freeeeeezing (-10C-ish), then, we'll receive some precipitation and it's most likely going down as rain - again. Just after the brief warm-up, we're listed for another cold blast but it's still too early to tell how cold it's going to get.

I hope it doesn't get too cold for you guys on the other side of the 'pond'.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

here in Southwest Idaho we have had a very mild winter with just a few mornings around 12 degrees in December. it has been a blessing as all my Bamboo is in containers.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

All my unprotected bamboos are fried. Sad. It was all well a week or two ago.
dakers

Post by dakers »

Forecast for Weds AM- N. Florida and Alabama Gulf Coast, low-mid 20’s F. We’ll see which tropicals leaf burn the most.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Last night was supposed to be the coldest. We've had -11°C, crystal-clear sky. Tonight it will be a little bit less cold, but tomorrow, we expect to see above freezing temperature during the day again with some rain. There will be some rain/snow swapping in the following weeks with very mild temperatures. I think that most of the cold now got pushed towards Canada and the US. We will receive a warm effect from a formation above Atlantic.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

So I'm curious: we've had quite a bit of snow melt and even rain the last week or so, and plenty of regular precipitation during the last 3+ months. Even with temps getting to -2F (-19C), should I see less damage this year than I did last year? Last year it was a very dry fall and winter, with a low temp of -4F (-20C). It will be windy during the cold, with no snow cover.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

-20°C a few years ago, following almost the same script as you mentioned, resulted in top killed aurea, Moso and Borinda. Fargesia denudata heavily burnt, F. rufa hardly touched and Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' bleached only a bit on the wind exposed northern side. Shiroshima and Pseudosasa japonica were topped as well.

Ground was saturated with water, heavy rain and snow melt was followed by polar cold air from north-east. Constant dry wind with sunny but frigid weather lasted for like 14 days. Soil froze deep and didn't thaw easily - it took quite some time!

Dry cold on the other hand, resulted with similar damage , even though it lasted just a few days. Damage should be milder. I hope it doesn't last.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Luckily it's only a couple of days of cold, then 2 days after that it will be 50F (10C) and above. I'm sure it's not the last of the polar vortex though!

(I knew that those summer days that got nice and cool into the 70's were a hint of things to come in the winter!)
dakers

Post by dakers »

N. Florida/Alabama Gulf Coast only dropped to 30 degrees F this morning. Five days ago, forecast was low to mid 20's. The cold air mass didn't move much further south than Kentucky. So, assuming no February freezes, our tropical bamboos and bananas should be in great shape.