Bamboo dissimilis

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

dakers
Location info: 0

Bamboo dissimilis

Post by dakers »

Checking to see what the experienced tropical bamboo growers here know about B.dissimilis. Tropical Bamboo, Nursery, Loxachatchee, FL has it. I got one. I had it or B. distegia on my list of possibilities. They recommended dissimilis if I was getting one or the other. And, it wasn't to make a better sale, as dissimilis was $30 and distegia, $65., both in 3 gal.

However, there isn't much on dissimilis on the internet or in bambooweb. I see that it's a synonym for B. indigena. But, not much info there. Also, I see there's a B. dissimulator but I think that's a different species. Tropical Bamboo web catalog lists B. dissimilis as, fast growing, green, hardy to 18 F, culms to 3". Sounded good to me for zone 8b/9a. They had a dissimilis several years old at the Loxahatchee nursery; I took the attached photos.
Doug
Attachments
IMG_0753.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg
Glen
Location info: 0

Re: Bamboo dissimilis

Post by Glen »

Bambusa distegia is in subgenus Lingnania, along with B. emeiensis and B. chungii. They have different growth forms, but share obvious morphological similarities, and similar cold tolerance. For me, they all start losing leaves in the lower 20's F. Bambusa distegia is quite uncommon in the United States, so there is not much information available. For me, it produces a relatively small number of culms that gain size fairly quickly. The plant is pretty narrow and upright. I like it.

Bambusa dissimilis (indigena) is in subgenus Bambusa, along with B. ventricosa. I have had my plant for several years, and indeed its growth form and cold hardiness are quite similar to those of B. ventricosa. It is fairly vigorous, very tolerant of flooding, and has interesting striping on its shoots. I should note that I suspect that the purple striping is caused by some kind of plant virus (perhaps unrecognized). Symptoms are also visible on the leaves. I have seen no evidence that this possible virus is transmissible, or causes any particular harm to the plant, but I do sterilize my pruner as a precaution. These photographs are the best that I have seen, and they do match the appearance of my plant, although mine is not as mature. http://patioplants.com/product/xl-fast- ... ize-8-pot/

B. dissimulator is also in subgebnus Bambusa, but it is much less cold hardy than the others discussed here.