Alabama Gulf Coast - clumping bamboo

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

dakers
Location info: 0

Alabama Gulf Coast - clumping bamboo

Post by dakers »

I haven't posted in perhaps nearly 10 years. Bought my first bamboo from Brad S. in Indiana. I've retired and moved from Central Indiana to the Alabama Gulf Coast (Zone 5 to Zone 8b/9a). I'm growing only clumping bamboo down here. I attached photos of my Baby Blue Bamboo, Bambusa chungii 'Barbellata'. This plant just completed it's second growing season and is around 15 tall. Photos taken today, Sat. Dec. 22, 2018.

Others, in their first year are: Seabreeze and Asian Lemon.
What other zone 8/9 bamboos are favorites of you bamboo enthusiasts?
Attachments
leaves.jpg
leaves.jpg (59.27 KiB) Viewed 10304 times
B. chungill 'Barbellata'.jpg
B. chungill 'Barbellata'.jpg (57.35 KiB) Viewed 10308 times
Baby Blue Bamboo<br />Bambusa chungii 'Barbellata'
Baby Blue Bamboo
Bambusa chungii 'Barbellata'
IMG_0609.jpg (65.21 KiB) Viewed 10309 times
Glen

Re: Alabama Gulf Coast - clumping bamboo

Post by Glen »

These are a few of the ones that I have found most rewarding in my area. I am in a "solid" 9a climate.

Bambusa textilis 'Kanapaha' - My favorite, beautiful and the most cold tolerant
Bambusa textilis var. glabra - Very different form from other clones of the species
Bambusa chungii
Bambusa emeiensis 'Flavidorivens'
Bambusa emeiensis 'Viridiflavus'
Bambusa distegia - Fairly uncommon, but about as hardy as the above three varieties
dakers

Post by dakers »

Thanks for the list. I just saw Kanapaha bamboo last month at the Kanapaha Botanical Gardens in Gainesville, FL. I'll need to see where I can purchase it. I haven't run across it for sale.
Doug
8b/9a
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Robert at Tropical Bamboo in FL has the Kanapaha listed and he ships. I really like Bambusa chungii, it adds nice contrast to about any other Bambusa species. Dendrocalamus minor 'Amoenus' is reported to hold up into the mid to low 20's, mine has not been tested yet but it is quite attractive.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

Hi Doug,

I have Kanapaha that originated from Robert as Brad mentioned as a source. I specify that because I've seen some folks representing Emerald as Kanapaha and there is a definite difference. I have both species that just finished their 3rd growing season in my yard.

If you're interested, I have some 7 gal plants I'll sell.
Kanapaha
Emerald
Graceful
Old Hamii

I'm not sure where in the Alabama Gulf Coast you are, but I'm in Magnolia Springs Al.

Nathan
Glen

Post by Glen »

Ophiuchus wrote:I have Kanapaha that originated from Robert as Brad mentioned as a source. I specify that because I've seen some folks representing Emerald as Kanapaha and there is a definite difference.
Ophiuchus,

I have never grown 'Emerald', but the several people whom I have known to grow it decided the two plants were likely the same thing. I do not think I have even seen a plant of 'Emerald', so I have no opinion on the matter.

Could you describe the differences that you see between the two named plants? If they are indeed different clones, I need to get 'Emerald' :D !
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

Good Morning Glen Happy New Year!

Like Doug, I've also visited Kanapaha Gardens in Gainesville Fl. my alma mater UF; Go Gators!

Let me start with the differences below ground. I've divided both of these plants in pot for two seasons now and there is a noticeable difference in how aggressive the root ball of Emerald is over the Kanapaha.

Although my Kanapaha was more susceptible to wind by yard placement, I did sustain a tip over with it and not the Emerald. Only one plant which I noticed after two years had not really established a root system worthy of a plant that will grow to 55' tall. I hope this will change with the plants maturity.

After 3 seasons the height is relatively the same (approx 30-35'), but the culm diameter on the Emerald is a bit larger and the blueish tint has faded more towards green thus giving it an Emerald appearance. The older culms have also faded to more of an Olive color with no branching for the first 5'.

My thoughts are the Emerald matures in 3 seasons and Kanapaha may take 5 to fully appreciate it's potential that I witnessed first hand in Gainesville. 65 footers allowed to demand it's full foot print potential. They're HUGE!!!

I would not plant Kanapaha where my limitations would not permit a larger foot print. It has a tendency to sprawl more than Emerald which has allowed me to plant in a much more narrow row comparable to what my Graceful is in and what I anticipate from Old Hamii with very erect culms.

Emerald is considered to be the Big Brother of the 25' foot Graceful for those wishing to plant in tighter spaces and still get 35' tall plants with beautifully erect larger diameter culms. With my understanding, Kanapaha is the Grand Dad of the Bambusa species.

I'm not completely sure, but I recall the Kanapaha plant being released somewhat recently to the public. Fact check me please. This info would lead me to believe that the Emerald is what would be prevalent and true Kanapaha more elusive.

How tall is your Kanapaha and what is the diameter culm?

As always, Thanks Glen for sharing a wealth of knowledge with us Bamboo Newbies and those with inquisitive Bamboo minds.
Glen

Post by Glen »

There was an extensive discussion about this matter years ago on this forum between some very knowledgeable members, but unfortunately, most of them are no longer active.
Difference?: B. mutabilis vs B. textilis 'Kanapaha': http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1169

The story behind 'Kanapaha' is fairly well summarized by this post:
hotchkiss wrote:The plant at Kanapaha was obtained from the old USDA plant introduction station in Savannah (now the bamboo farm and coastal gardens) and is identified as PI 80872. It is the same as the B. textilis at the USDA lab in Byron. Floyd McClure collected the plant in China in 1925 and sent it to the U.S. in 1929. Here is the description from the original introduction: Originally from Heunglokeuk, Kwangtung (now Guangdong), March 1925. Wong Chuk. A sympodial type of bamboo cultivated for its thin-walled culms which are used in weaving, rope making, and somewhat in the manufacture of a cheap grade of paper for ceremonial purposes. The variety is widely distributed in the Province and is most extensively cultivated in the Kwongning district of western Kwangtung. The mature culms reach a height of 24 feet and a circumference of 5 inches. The nodes are not prominent and the culms are very upright in habit with drooping tips. The clump habit is compact, not rapidly spreading. The branches are all in fascicles, nearly all of a size, slender, and up to about 3 feet long. The lower nodes are always free of branches for 12 to 15 feet in mature specimens.

The plants for Byron and Kanapaha were dug in Savannah in the late 70's. However, many others dug plants from Savannah during this period just before they closed. Two places that dug plants were Mercer arboretum and Doremus nursery in Warren, TX. I have spoken with Ted Doremus and he said that his B. textilis came from Savannah. I beleive that the original B. textilis plant at Mercer is PI 80872. The B. textilis Kanapaha at Mercer is probably the same plant because it was provided by Richard Waldron from the clump at Byron. Many other east Texas B. textilis plants are probably the same clone because Ted has been selling this plant for over 25 years.

The USDA tropical bamboo collection in Puerto Rico has PI 80872 and another B. textilis, PI 80873. B. mutabilis (PI 128...) was imported into the U.S. but is not in Puerto Rico or Miami and apparently was lost. I think that PI 80872 has probably survived in more places than we realize and probably other old introductions have as well.

Roy, I think the answer to your question begins with determining where Robert Tornello got his plant. If the source can be traced to Savannah or Kanapaha then the answer is yes. If the source cannot be determined then we will have to wait on DNA analysis.

Mike
So, PI 80872 was brought to Kanapaha Gardens, but was also distributed to an unknown number of other areas before it acquired the name 'Kanapaha'. After the plant at Kanapaha Gardens gained notoriety, that name became affixed to plants that traced back to the clump at the Gardens. Other clones of Bambusa textilis have been introduced from abroad, and the species has produced seedlings since importation to the United States. The USDA did import something called Bamusa mutabilis, which was likely a form of B. textilis, but the chain of custody for this material seems unknown.

It is entirely possible that most of the Bambusa textilis plants in the United States are actually PI 80872, but there is no easy way to verify this. Even though 'Kanapaha' is certainly in circulation under other names, only plants that trace to Kanapaha Gardens should bear the name 'Kanapaha'. Otherwise, it encourages people without the necessary plant identification skills to start naming plants that "look right" to them as 'Kanapaha'.

I grew 'Kanapaha' for a long time in a zone 8b location, with poor soil, and it survived, with frequent severe cold damage. I have had them in Zone 9a for about four years, with rich and deep soil, and they are growing vigorously. I have not measured them, but they are still gaining size quickly.

I have another selection of "regular" B. textilis. It was purchased from one of the most reputable growers on the West Coast, and he told me that he had grown the clone for many years, and it was the form of B. textilis that is common on the West Coast, but he did not know anything more about its origin. So far, under similar conditions, it looks identical to my verified 'Kanapaha' plants. Time will probably tell whether they are actually the same clone.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

If anyone wants the rest of my tropical bamboo seeds, they can PM me. I got 10 species, and all of them had surprisingly good germination rates, and now I have more seedlings than I can handle so I don't mind sharing the good stuff. The bambusas literally germinated within 2 days.

I have bambusa mangshi, tulda, polymorpha, dendrocalamus gigantea, asper, barbatus, yunnannicus, membranaecus cu grandis, and cephalostachym pergracia. One the bambusas, almost all of the seeds germinated, never seen seeds with this much viability before.

I know most of this forum grows temperate bamboos, but here in Hawaii, only tropicals grow well, and if anyone happens to have dendrocalamus sinicus, I would be interested. I want to have a specimen with the most contorted and twisty culms as possible.
dakers

Post by dakers »

Nathan,
I'm only about 20 minutes from you in Alabama! I sent you an email; let me know if you got it.
Doug
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

dakers wrote:Nathan,
I'm only about 20 minutes from you in Alabama! I sent you an email; let me know if you got it.
Doug
I got it, I'll send you an email to the address you provided so we can figure out how we can hook up.

Thanks
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

'I have not measured them, but they are still gaining size quickly.'

Hi Glen,

I'm looking forward to seeing them after 5 years. It's encouraging to hear your 4 yr olds are still showing signs that they're not done yet. :lol:

I'm going to try and make a trip to Disney's Animal Kingdom next month (depending on entrance fee). My understanding is Robert supplied them with Kanapaha and other species.

I'm in 8b and don't anticipate the 65' footers like Gainesville, I'll be happy with 50'. 8)
Glen

Post by Glen »

Ophiuchus wrote:I'm in 8b and don't anticipate the 65' footers like Gainesville, I'll be happy with 50'. 8)
The one at Mercer Botanic Gardens, which is the same plant as 'Kanapaha', was enormous the last time I saw it. I have only seen photographs of the one in Gainesville, but they appeared to be the same size. Mercer is in the northern part of Zone 9a. Perhaps yours will get larger than you think!

By the way, I think you have convinced me to get a 'Mutabilis' plant from Tropical Bamboo. There is always room for one more :D .
hydroid

Post by hydroid »

I'm in Gulf Shores and I think these pics are some of my Kanapaha.
Attachments
IMG_3537.JPG
dakers

Post by dakers »

Hydroid,
Nice closeup. I sent you an email message.
Doug