Oops - wrong bamboo?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

da7id
Location info: 0

Oops - wrong bamboo?

Post by da7id »

So I posted a while ago about losing new shoots on one of my Lakos. And now looking at the photo & comparing the shoot to the Lako shoot coming up from another plant in the ground, I’m starting to think the 2 in pots aren’t Lakos at all. So the story behind them is I got them for almost nothing from a guy on Craigslist - 2 15G pots with black bamboo much bigger than I ever see in nurseries. He said they were Lako & they have green striped black culms but the shoots are really hairy. Do you thing these are G atroviolacea instead? This isn’t great as I’m in 8b & I thought the Lakos would be hard enough.
Attachments
C68E463E-693F-4401-B430-598E44AF4481.jpeg
64FCD593-536E-401A-85C0-C564190A04F4.jpeg
Glen

Re: Oops - wrong bamboo?

Post by Glen »

Yes, I think you are correct about that shoot belonging to G. atroviolacea. In your area, I am not sure it will make much difference, as both will require substantial protection from severe freezes most winters.
da7id

Re: Oops - wrong bamboo?

Post by da7id »

Thanks for the confirmation. I guess my collection just got a bit more diverse. I was thinking Gigantochloa was much less cold hardy. Anyway we already had one night down to 28 for a couple hours in Nov with minimal leaf loss. I’ll see what Feb brings.