Over Wintering

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

thebambooguy
Location info: 0

Over Wintering

Post by thebambooguy »

I want to over winter my bamboo as well as possible this year so I'm turning to the experts.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... C_0100.jpg
This is my humble little bamboo grove and I've spread a thick layer of straw all around and in between my bamboo.
What more should I do to help protect these guys? I have a 10' fence that surrounds and protects against wind from the north east and west.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Over Wintering

Post by Alan_L »

That image isn't viewable.

In z7a there's probably not much you need to do. Do you get a fair amount of winter precipitation?
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

strange, it works for me.
It really depends on the year. sometimes we get lots of snow and other years barely any at all.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Link works for me, if anything perhaps be prepared to toss a blanket/tarp over the most cold sensitive ones anytime the temp is expected to go below say -12C. Then uncover as soon as it warms up a few degrees.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
thebambooguy

Post by thebambooguy »

I'll be sure to watch the temperature and do so. Is it vitally important to remove the blanket/tarp when the temp goes above 12ish?

Thanks for the quick responses.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Your link does not work for me either.

Make sure the plants have plenty of soil moisture before any severe freezes.

Remember, if you cover plants with anything that can create a greenhouse effect, you risk waking them from dormancy early, thus making them more vulnerable to any subsequent freezes.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Access to your link is denied. You should create a publick link that is meant for sharing.

If seedlings are small enough, it should be easy to protect them. I usually cover them with a pvc tunnel, shade them a bit to prevent overheating and keep them covered when the weather is really cold. I remove it if it gets warmer or if it rains. As soon as we receive a decent 'shipment' of snow, I pile it around and over the seedlings. As long as they are covered with snow, they don't break a sweat. If it's thick enough, the soil doesn't even freeze. If bamboos get squished a little bit, they don't mind at all.
I keep them in raised bed so there's no problems with the melting snow and water retention.otherwise, I would dig a trench to lead the melted water away if needed.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Assuming the temp warms up in the daytime, I'd blanket in the evening and remove in the AM.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Putting a bucket of water underneath for temperature control, mothballs to prevent mice from eating the bamboo, as well as a light color, but airtight tarp should get you good results. If it gets too cold for too long, even tarps won't work, but I have has my most success with white over wintering blankets pressing the bamboo as close to the ground as possible. Tent stakes logs, or cinder blocks get the job done.