More zone 5 bamboo madness

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

UPBooMatt
Location info: 0

Re: More zone 5 bamboo madness

Post by UPBooMatt »

Tarzanus wrote: You can check for escapees this fall if you want to divert them into their designated grow space.
Thank you both for your input! What Tarzanus says here is sort of what I was thinking of doing. Assuming I can dig them (escapees) without damage I was going to try to redirect/lay them inside the grove in the hopes they could then possibly shoot next spring, vs trying to relocate leafed out shoots, or making divisions (which I don't need at this point...lol) after shooting.

I guess I'm also partly curious just what is going on at "the line," as Alan put it. So maybe I'm looking for an excuse to dig my trench...cause I need more things to do before winter... :roll: ..lol
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Question along this same topic line: In people's experience, how far along a new rhizome will shoots develop the following spring?

I know, I know, so many variables. But it sounds as though it's unlikely a 6 or 8 foot rhizome, will produce a shoot 6 or 8 feet from the main plant. Alan's comment that they "aren't going to shoot out there" got me thinking. (No I won't hold you to that if they do, Alan...lol)
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Shoots usually start on mature rhizomes around 2 to 3 years old. In the beginning when the plant is young, you can see them grow sooner. Most likely you will see new shoots on the parts of rhizome growth that has already grown nice roots by now. I wouldn't expect any of late summer rhizomes (or even autumn growth) to shoot next year. My Moso seedling has switched shooting from 2 years old rhizomes to 3 years old (at least I think so). Well, it has quite a lot of issues lately, weather is just never on its side.

What Alan tried to say was - they won't shoot next spring, but they eventually will. Before they do, you will have some time to find and cut out the rhizomes. If you do it on time, you won't even need to pull out the escaping rhizome, just cut it and leave them rot on their own.