Re: P. dulcis?

Post by iain »

IMG_0782.jpg
Boohoo?
iain
Location info: 0

Post by iain »

Yep, it's most definately Inverness monster (the damage not the plant). I find it remarkable, with half of the internode eaten away, it still branches out.
IMG_0833.jpg
Attachments
IMG_0838.jpg
Boohoo?
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

Just my thoughts, and it may not matter one way or the other, but I'd put a splint of some sort on that branch where it's chewed through. At least something to keep it from folding over as the branch puts on weight. I might also fill/plug the entry into the culm there first, but I'm not sure about moisture being trapped or things like that.
iain

Post by iain »

I appreciate the input, I would never have considered doing that. But there are branches and leaves below the damage that will sustain the culm. There are three culms which developed late last year and lost their branches and leaves during the winter and they haven't produced any to replace them, yet. In hindsight, although our weather is nowhere near as harsh as parts of North America, I do wonder if I shouldn't have went for Ph. aureosulcata and Ph. bissettii to create my groves rather than Ph. vivax and Ph. dulcis. I was enticed by the thought of "huge" culms. I had a five litre pot of Ph. aureosulcata 'Spectabilis' for a year in a planter and two in the ground and it measured over three foot across when I dug it up, a huge rootball, and it was nice and upright and could handle the wind better than Ph. vivax. It's not called a "Rootball" is it?
IMG_0776.jpg
If I hadn't got my research awry I would have planted Ph. vivax lower down as runners travel quicker uphill. Now I am mulching heavier on the lower side to encourage the rhizomes.
Boohoo?
iain

Post by iain »

The plant produced a few more shoots after the first, "expeditionary" ones, possibly in response to the prolonged warm weather. I have resisted the urge to water.
IMG_1001.jpg
Boohoo?
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Why are you resisting watering?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

I was just about to ask that...if I've learned anything only having boo in the ground for 2 months it's WATER!!!...lol
iain

Post by iain »

When I said "resisted" I was thinking particularly of a four/five year old planting of Ph. nigra that dropped a shedload of leaves during the dry period, but that is planted on a bank. Actually, Brad, I was thinking of pruning it this year and read with interest your essay in the ABS newsletter.

Matt, it is so easy during a dry spell to reach for a hose and needlessly water. So, as the soil here is nearly always moist, I decided to leave off, and everything has come along fine. Like roses. Well, apart from the Chimonobambusa tumidissinoda (Did I spell that right?) that was tucked away in a pot, but I got to that just in time. Anyhow, I am mitigating for that person in the street who finds it necessary to shower their car on a weekly basis. Two hours! There is always one.
Boohoo?
needmore

Post by needmore »

Ah, I see.

I had an essay in an ABS newsletter?
iain

Post by iain »

needmore wrote:I had an essay in an ABS newsletter?
That made me laugh. Sorry, I meant this publication:

http://bamboo.org/publications/e107_fil ... 2008sm.pdf

I read it a little while ago and your "message" (That is you?) is shorter than I remember it but I found it interesting. I was disappointed not to be able to access any of the other issues!

This is the plant I would like to leg up and thin out.
IMG_1012.jpg
Boohoo?
needmore

Post by needmore »

Well I'll be, I don't recall writing that but it was me!
iain

Post by iain »

iain wrote:This is the plant I would like to leg up and thin out.
Finally got to prune this 4 year old Nigra; tentatively, at first, as this was my first time. Despite the force needed to snap off the branches (and the odd tear down an internode) it was actually quite satisfying, meditative, and the area around the plant is transformed.
IMG_1069.jpg
Boohoo?
iain

Post by iain »

The first of this year's shoots showing no increase in size. The adjacent Vivax is outperforming the mystery plant by a mile.
D19.jpg
Boohoo?
iain

Post by iain »

This is an increase in size. But is it still too juvenile to be identified?
IMG_1295.jpg
Boohoo?
needmore

Post by needmore »

As a general course for an ID, I always suggest trying to rule in or out the most obvious choice for a given locale - what is most common around you? My understanding is that Phy viridiglaucescens in quite common in Europe and that shoot looks like a candidate to me. I'm not familiar with that bamboo though and I do not believe the true form is available in the US but you might try pulling that thread to see what unravels. Perhaps the French forum will tell.