Fargesia dracocephala

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

iain
Location info: 0

Re: Fargesia dracocephala

Post by iain »

Cheers for uploading the shots. Interesting to see how my plants will mature. That said, the division from which my plant came was very tight at the base compared to the canopy. I remember because I remember disliking the habit. And then I was offered the division.
IMG_0021.jpg
Last season's late culms now leafing out
Last season's late culms now leafing out

Now over to the id forum to post a new shoot in my (so-called) Dulcis thread!
Boohoo?
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Great tread.

Applause to all the effort here to educate us all. Like stated already, Bamboo is confusing and very difficult to identify sometimes.

Oh might I add, very addictive also!!

Thanks for sharing everyone

Kailey in Comox
iain

Post by iain »

This year's shoots. For something that doesn't move, bamboo isn't the easiest subject to photograph, is it? You have to do a little dance.
Fargesia apicirubens.jpg
Boohoo?
Chris S
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America
Location: SE UK 400ft Zone 8/7 Low usually 28F, -4C (-10, -12, -14, -1, -6C last 5); High 99F, 37C in 2019

Post by Chris S »

This made me think how unreliable colours can be for identifying clump-forming mountain bamboo species, or selecting good ones to grow. Growing in different climates and different microclimates, the combined effects of sun and cold can make an enormous difference.

Being a botanist I look for characters that are consistent, whatever the colour. Just for fun I thought I would do a comparison of the culm sheath hairs (from both the mid-culm and the base of the culm) to distinguish between 3 tricky species, Fargesia robusta, F. dracocephala, and F. apicirubens. I assume we all know that the thin leaves of nitida/demissa/Jiu distinguish those, while the completely hairless strongly asymmetrical culm sheaths of murielae can be used to recognize them.

And of course we know that the Borinda species are distinguished by the (nearly always) ribbed culm internodes and various other characters, and accept that they are more closely related to Yushania than Fargesia, having open flowers like a grass panicle, not those distinctive toothbrush-like flowers of Fargesia.
Attachments
light brown hairs on robusta, darker hairs on dracocephala, light brown hairs only on the basal sheaths of apicirubens
light brown hairs on robusta, darker hairs on dracocephala, light brown hairs only on the basal sheaths of apicirubens
Chris
SE England
bamboo-identification.co.uk

Think globally, act locally
UPBooMatt

Post by UPBooMatt »

I've been enjoying reading this thread as I learn more about Fargesia as a whole.

Not to derail this thread, but Chris, I've been reading on your website a lot in the last few days, and I was wondering if there is any specific information for 'jiuzhaigou' buried somewhere I may have missed?
iain

Post by iain »

Chris S wrote:I assume we all know that the thin leaves of nitida/demissa/Jiu distinguish those
I don't have nitida and jiu to compare, so I wonder if the soft, downy appearance on the leaves of demissa is a distinguishing characteristic. It must have minute hairs that are not visible to the eye. After rain pools of water can be seen collected on the leaves.
IMG_0950.jpg
Boohoo?