Fargesia sp. Jiuzhaigou IX photos?

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Mr.Bean
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Fargesia sp. Jiuzhaigou IX photos?

Post by Mr.Bean »

Has anyone had this in the ground for a few years? I would love to see recent photos. I can't find much on image searches and what does come up is often another form of Jiuzhaigou. Saw a potted specimen in a friends greenhouse and it was almost as colorful as Jiuzhaigou I.
Evan
Van-isle-bamboo

Re: Fargesia sp. Jiuzhaigou IX photos?

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

I’ve got one but I’m not too sure it’s the real number four. Turns green in the shade I’ve got it. No pictures but I’ll try to take some when I’m home.
Mr.Bean

Post by Mr.Bean »

Van-isle-bamboo wrote:I’ve got one but I’m not too sure it’s the real number four. Turns green in the shade I’ve got it. No pictures but I’ll try to take some when I’m home.
Sorry, looking for photos of number 9, not number 4, though I'd be happy to see your number 4, too!
Evan
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

Mr.Bean wrote:Has anyone had this in the ground for a few years? I would love to see recent photos. I can't find much on image searches and what does come up is often another form of Jiuzhaigou. Saw a potted specimen in a friends greenhouse and it was almost as colorful as Jiuzhaigou I.
I have a #9 only been in ground since Nov ’16 from a 1 gal so immature in what you’re looking for. Here’s pic from this morning as no one else has come forth.
02.02.18 09.03 AM.jpg
does have very different vibe from #1, summer shot
summ.jpeg
After 6 months in a pot in the shade with mellow purple culms I planted in a more open area Nov ’16, 6 weeks later colors had changed dramatically.
nov-dec '16.jpeg
"memory is the future of the past"
Van-isle-bamboo

That’s an amazing Bamboo. Great color!

Major want now.
steffen

Post by steffen »

I have 1, 4, and 9. All are only colorful in strong sunlight. The light influence in much bigger than cultivar number, although 4 and 9 are bigger plants after a few years.
Fargesia sp. jiuzhaigou 'Deep Purple' (B2) ist a bit different, it is more colorful (at least in Winter and Spring) even with not so much light (but green during Summer with new shoots). Is it already available over there?
Two pics attached, Summer and Winter color. Second pic is after 3 years starting from a one culm division.
Steffen
Deep Purple P1090218_Jos_small.jpg
20170813_154139_Steffen_small.jpg
Last edited by steffen on Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Van-isle-bamboo

Steffen...

Definitely noted about the strong sunlight. I have 4 and it’s very green and should I say boring compared to those in the strong light I’ve seen. I’m tempted to move one of them ( I’ve got two planted in the yard ) but it’s a nice privacy screen and already is 8+’ high.

‘ deep purple ‘ is now in Canada. It’s a matter of time before I can get it out to a few friends to try it. The color is brighter then 4 in the position I have it.
Mr.Bean

Post by Mr.Bean »

Thanks for sharing your photos, Wind-born! I'm impressed with the height increase in that summer photo! You must be keeping it happy. Good to see the color of an unstressed plant in the ground, provided it has enough sunlight. The only one I've seen is a rather stressed specimen in a pot in a friends greenhouse, though part of its stressed look right now is from normal winter leaf loss.

Steffen, thanks for chiming in about 'Deep Purple'. I've only seen it listed from European sources. Good to know Kailey's taken care of the difficult part of getting it across the pond and more within reach of us in the states. My garden is rather young and I have few places that are full shade. Almost everywhere in the garden gets at least a few hours of morning sun. Of course that will change as things grow, but I've at least tried to take that into account.
Evan
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

Jiuzhaigou 9 is colorful, but strongly overhanging in my garden. This plant is growing in shade so stems color is weak.

Newly planted division has 3 metres long new shoots.

Number 10 is favorit for me now. Not so colorful, but make strong upright clump.

I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

As Steffen noted, sunlight will color any of jiuzhaigou as will the color change through the seasons.
As this thread has gently treaded towards expressions of favorites I thought to contribute and move focus to something more stable and plentiful, leaves. :alien: For me the leaves of GenF are the most colorful as well as the smallest of the jiu’s I have, about half the size of #1.
leaves copy.jpeg
GenF is no slouch when it comes to colored culms either, providing a nice backdrop to the spring and summer leaves.
spring,summer copy.jpeg
Pic on left almost captures the leaf color and pic on right shows contrast with #1. When last years shoots leaf out soon the height difference between GenF and #1 will be negligible and a better comparison available.
color copy.jpeg
Van-isle-bamboo

Great photos wind-borne and thanks for sharing them.
wufeng
Location: My plants grows in Prague and another 3 places in The Czech republic, zone 6.

Post by wufeng »

Actual photo - Fargesia sp. Jiuzhaigou 9. Not nice plant in my garden.

Color of the stems: I think there must be another influence, not only sunlight, maybe cold, becouse my clone 4 growing in the 90% shade is colorfull.

Geneva (Genf) was not vigorous and hardy in my garden. Mealybugs often occupaied stems. Is away from my collection.

Fargesia sp. Jiuzhaigou 2 is forgotten clone. Not colorful, but strong and very useful.

Sorry for photos, but i dont know where is problem.
I am engaged in pages about hardy bamboos in Czech language - http://bambusy.info/.
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

wufeng

Funny, you mention 2 & 10 as I went down to a nursery with intention of buying a 10(for the yellow) or possibly a 2(for the purple) not knowing they had 9. All were in deep shade pushed together so all I could go on was foliage as there was no display specimens. The shape of the narrow leaves filling in behind the large terminal leaves of 9 won me over. Wasn’t until later I researched 9’s growth habits. Will be curious how I feel in a couple years. So far have enjoyed the green to brown to maroon to purple transitions of culm color.
wufeng

Post by wufeng »

wind-borne wrote:wufeng

Wasn’t until later I researched 9’s growth habits. Will be curious how I feel in a couple years. So far have enjoyed the green to brown to maroon to purple transitions of culm color.
Maybe in your place habitus of the plant will be different and you will have nice bamboo.
wind-borne wrote:wufeng

Funny, you mention 2 & 10 as I went down to a nursery with intention of buying a 10(for the yellow) or possibly a 2(for the purple) not knowing they had 9
In my garden, number 10 has slightly purple stems during the year, number 2 is only green changing to yellow.
Mr.Bean

Post by Mr.Bean »

I kept checking this thread on my tablet and the screen keyboard would hide what I was typing, so I meant to reply on my desktop and kept forgetting.

It's been hard even finding information on 9. For every link on a search page to 9, there's usually 10 or more links for 1 or one of the other clones. Now that wufeng mentions it, though, I do see a couple sources that mention its overhanging habit. Good to know.

I saw the Genf at Bamboo Gardens in Oregon early last fall. The sun was hitting them and it was the driest part of the year, so their leaves were tightly curled, but the culm colors were nice all the same. The ones I saw were only about 4 feet high. They're still observing that clone to see how big it will get in their conditions. Probably quite a bit smaller than if they were more pampered. It didn't look like they were supplying much supplemental watering in the dry Pacific Northwest summer.

Looks like a need to take a closer look at 2 and 10, as well. The floppy habit of 9 is pretty off-putting.
Evan