Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Re: Phyllostachys nigra variegata

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Ha yes I guess so needmore.
bloombamboo

Post by bloombamboo »

The people selling it (variegated nigra) online in the UK can't confirm for sure how true to form it is, other than "... it was from a trusted source... ". They do not have any photos of the mother plant showing the stable leaves on black canes. So it may be questionable???

Kyoshi (from Bamboo Garden) has prominent striped culms which slowly age to black.

Variegated nigra only has variegated leaves. I believe they are two different cultivars.
Van-isle-bamboo

Bloombamboo.

I'm pretty sure your right they are two different cultivars. The kyoshi was given to bamboo gardens from mr. kyoshi as a gift. It's his mutation from plain nigra.

Nigra var is found in China as my friend has seen a large grove of it before there.

The future will tell us what this " var nigra " some of us own will turn out to be. Mine is very small at the moment so it's going to take a couple years to show some true characteristics.

Moso is very hard to propagate at a small size. I'm almost 100 percent certain this isn't moso. Anyone that's taken a small division of some of the rare moso's will know this.
Last edited by Van-isle-bamboo on Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I have taken Moso division from my seedling when it was like 1 year old. I just cut off the escaping rhizome with whip shoot (not even branched out yet) in the fall and took it inside for the winter. It took right off and in a year, I've had a nice potted bush. I neglected it later on and let it dry out completely when I forgot about it during the winter, but at the time, it was already fully established inside the pot.
I do not think Moso is much harder to propagate, even when still young. Mine had rhizomes that were somewhere around 1/3 of pencil diameter.
This spring, the same seedling ran into the lawn. I have removed the rhizome with one culm still attached, placed it into grocery bag and thrown it into deep shade. It is still alive. Didn't grow rhizomes or anything, but it remained OK during whole summer. Most of the roots are exposed to air and it remained almost completely dry most of the time. I asked a friend at the time if he would want that division, but since it didn't go, I left it alone. I might plant the poor thing now with all the wet autumn weather.

I am quite certain that small Moso divisions are not as hard to achieve as they are supposed to be. Perhaps I just have a tough seedling, but perhaps "the variegated nigra" is also tough Moso seedling. I still think it is Moso.

There are many growers that bought the variegated nigra bamboo. I'm sure in a year or two, they will get it to a decent size and will be able to ID it a bit more accurate. If in fact it is Moso, they will definitely see the fuzzy culms. If it is nigra, shoots shoots will show it in 2 years max. I wish I'd have space for it, I'd love to try it!
Deane

Post by Deane »

So I have bought one again as I lost my last one so let the fun begin, any updates on your one’s guys
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

I ordered kyoshi from Bamboogarden and should have it in April
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Deane

Post by Deane »

Cooper12 wrote:I ordered kyoshi from Bamboogarden and should have it in April
Wow , it’s fantastic looking boo I have it on order from kimmei but not sure if it will be this year or next year but worth the wait either way
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Deane wrote:
Wow , it’s fantastic looking boo I have it on order from kimmei but not sure if it will be this year or next year but worth the wait either way
yes I was very surprised that they where able to take a division for me so soon.
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
Deane

Post by Deane »

Cooper12 wrote:
Deane wrote:
yes I was very surprised that they where able to take a division for me so soon.
So excited for you, can’t wait to see some pictures of it
Van-isle-bamboo

Good to see another one arrived for you. I hope it does amazing for ya.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

We want pictures! :mrgreen:
Deane

Post by Deane »

Pictures of the two I have received, don’t look the best but hopefully with some love and care
Attachments
F03DD1BD-9BE1-4F7E-A3D7-A8D69B624F53.jpeg
25415317-C353-48F4-874C-BDA5D472ACB1.jpeg
AC34BC39-E181-469B-89F2-1AE615CEEAB7.jpeg
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

@Deane

Ouch, they don't look too happy.
Phyllostachys bamboos hate to stay inside for the winter, I guess that could be one of the reasons why it looks a bit sad.
I've had poor results when growing them inside, except for the Phyllostachys arcana seedlings that somehow thrived inside as well.

If/when you plant it outside, hopefully next spring, it should start growing vigorously.

It looks a bit like my variegated seedling. Leaf color. But it is not nearly healthy enough to make a real estimate about the leaf color. Hopefully soon!
IMG_20180124_140814 (2).jpg
needmore

Post by needmore »

A Phyllostachys sp. in a 4" pot exceeds my patience capacity! Hope that guy takes off for you, it could be a fine bamboo.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Deane

Post by Deane »

There in a cold greenhouse and looking a bit better but come spring there going in ground in green house along with my edulis ‘mixta’ think I am going to have to nurse these bamboos for a few years, well we live in hope
Last edited by Deane on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.