A winter look at my bamboos

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Alan_L
Location info: 81

A winter look at my bamboos

Post by Alan_L »

Since these will probably all be fried over the next few days, I thought I'd post photos of my still-green bamboos.

I can't seem to get their links formatted correctly to put them inline here, so see them here:
http://www.itsnotworkitsgardening.com/2 ... odbye.html

(Spaces in the filepath are being converted to html %20 -- how do I stop this?)
Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Re: A winter look at my bamboos

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Oh my that’s a nasty forecast your expecting. I’m sorry to hear that. Maybe just maybe it won’t be as bad as thought.

I’ve had -12c before here and it wasn’t too bad. The worst was last year when the prolonged cold set in even at milder temps of -10c. Some days were at a high of -1 and it really wasn’t enough to warm up some of the boardline plants I grow here. I did loose borinda papyrifera and that was sad.

Your pics are great. Thanks for sharing them. Fingers crossed you’ll have some milder weather.

Kailey in Comox
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

atrovaginata: has more leaf burn than parvifolia, still looking ok

hard to tell on parv, but there is some leaf burn on some of the leaves.

It manageable to tarp shanghai III, and bicolor was super well tarped.

It is supposed to dip to -1F, and -4F in a few more nights. Would an application of wilt pruf, or freeze pruf help at all? I don't have any tarps big enough to cover up the giants. We are going through an entire 2 weeks where the highs are remaining below the average lows for this time of the year, and nights just being brutal.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Alan_L wrote:Since these will probably all be fried over the next few days, I thought I'd post photos of my still-green bamboos.

I can't seem to get their links formatted correctly to put them inline here, so see them here:
http://www.itsnotworkitsgardening.com/2 ... odbye.html

(Spaces in the filepath are being converted to html %20 -- how do I stop this?)
Easy way is just renaming the files you uploaded to your blog.

It shouldn't be necessary though! %20 is just a code for space and every browser should have no issues showing the photo even if it's converted that way.
Did your webhosting provider change the rules and won't allow hotlinking images? It's a protection that prevents images from being displayed on any other domains except your own. If you have patched your blog recently, perhaps there's an option in the settings that changed with an update. I know Wordpress has it, I know cPanel hosting panel has it... I guess most providers allow it, and most blogging platforms as well.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Tarzanus wrote:Did your webhosting provider change the rules and won't allow hotlinking images?
My old photo account (Photobucket) did so I moved all my photos to a new server, just flat storage. The links to the images work fine in my blog, but not here.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Alan,

It is amazing what you have been able to do with that Phyllostachys aureosulcata 'Aureocaulis'. That species does not perform well here, but you appear to be growing it to near perfection. I hope it fares well through the cold spell. Let us know how it does, and what it looks like next year!
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Alan, my photos doesen't seem to work either. They too work from any other domain or forum. Looks like it's some sort of configuration issue on bambooweb forum.
vindiesel.zmaj

Post by vindiesel.zmaj »

Almost every winter here we have few nights at -20C, that's -4F for you Farenheit people :). And a lot of people grow bamboo. Aureosulcata gets about 12m tall and 6cm in diameter(maximum size in literature is 15m and 6.5cm).That kind of cold doesn't do much damage if there's no wind. Only Ph. nigra and ph. aurea show some damage. Last year was one in probably 50 years, worst one yet. I had 45 consecutive days, 24/7 bellow zero Celsius, ranging from -28 Celsius to -4 Celsius. Also we had 3 days with wind about 60kmh or about 40mph, and temperature was -17 to -7 Celsius. Damage was almost total. Even aureosulcata and bissetti lost all leaves but rejuvenated in spring, all other species died to the ground. Ground was frozen solid 60cm deep(2 feet), I know, had to do some digging. I thought all my bamboo is gone because ground and rhizomes were frozen for month and a half, but it spring everything sprouted just fine. Sure, there was downsizing, but still, all plants survived.

So, don't worry, everything will be fine.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Downsizing is what I'm afraid of! Also all of the work of removing dead culms ;)
Glen

Post by Glen »

Alan_L wrote:Downsizing is what I'm afraid of! Also all of the work of removing dead culms ;)
Alan,

Have you ever had your temperate bamboos defoliated, without much damage to the branches and buds? I am curious what happens to temperate bamboos the year after they are defoliated, but not topkilled.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I just typed my observation to this in another post so I'm curious to Alan's answer as well!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Glen, I have had like 70%+ leaf kill on some of more exposed culms. They have lost top nodes from branch tips but they started growing buds in early spring. They get smaller leaves the second season. Leaves grow normally and bamboos became green again, but not nearly as pretty as the new growth or undamaged culms. If you need to keep the culm to promote shooting, keep it, if not, I would most likely cut it down at soil level and hope for a good shooting season.
Alan_L

Post by Alan_L »

Glen wrote:Have you ever had your temperate bamboos defoliated, without much damage to the branches and buds? I am curious what happens to temperate bamboos the year after they are defoliated, but not topkilled.
Back in early 2014 I had -8ºF (-22ºC) with wind twice and most of my plants defoliated. Most leafed out again, although the marginal ones topkilled. I don't have detailed records about shooting, but notes in my blog posts indicate that shoots were fewer as the plants were leafing back out. (Note that some years are low on shoot production regardless of winter conditions)

Here's the post that shows the conditions of the plants:
http://www.itsnotworkitsgardening.com/2 ... after.html

This year the cold was around for a longer period, so I don't know what to expect. Things are looking pretty crispy right now.