Looking for 12'-15' tall clumping Bamboo in zone 6 with clay

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

From_LV
Location info: 0

Looking for 12'-15' tall clumping Bamboo in zone 6 with clay

Post by From_LV »

Hello,
I'm new to the forum. I've been researching for clumping bamboo for my backyard. I'm looking for something that is at least 12' tall in zone 6. We also have gray clay which doesn't drain well at all.
I've looked at the database list, but I've heard the height can be different than listed depending on the zoning. I'm wondering if anyone has grown clumping bamboo in zone 6 that get at least 12' tall and how fast does it grow? Thank you in advance.
dependable

Re: Looking for 12'-15' tall clumping Bamboo in zone 6 with

Post by dependable »

I am not aware of any clumping bamboo that will reliably grow to that height in zone 6.

If you want something likely to do well for you, try Phyllostachys bissetti, one of the hardiest runners.
cole

Post by cole »

I'm old Zone 5b/new Zone 6, and we tried a variety of Fargesia (nitida and one of the Jiuzhaigou) only to have top kill and/or stunted growth. My goal was a 15' screen. It was pretty crushing to see so much work go down the drain when cold, dry winds ravaged my girls. On the other hand, I've had amazing success with my running Yellow Groove (p. aureosulcata). I also take satisfaction in that our mother grove is from one of the Westport, CT, targets of Crazy Lady. My YG went to 12' in its third season from bare rhizomes.

Zone 6 is tough ... but it's my opinion that a runner is far easier to maintain with the shorter underground spreading season.
From_LV

Post by From_LV »

Thank you, all. I'm new to bamboos. How much maintenance involving runners as I don't want to upset my neighbors? Will it all of the sudden show up in my neighbor yard? I'm think of planting it 5' from the property line. I want some evergreen that is not conifers. Bamboo seems to fit the bill. Thanks!
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

@From_LV
If you are concerned about it showing up in your neighbors yard and keeping maintenance low you probably better either look at another plant or consider using bamboo barrier as for a mature Phyllostachys, it is nothing to send a runner 15-20 ft underground in a season if conditions are right. If you use the trench method you will have to really be diligent in keeping the rhizomes in check.
http://www.bamboogarden.com/barrier%20installation.htm
http://www.bamboogarden.com/barrier.htm
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

There was a fellow on this site who ran a Bamboo planting service in Detroit. Can't recall his name but maybe others can. I was sure he grew some Fargesias there.

Here in Maritime Z6 with cool nights F. nitida & F. murielae can get to 8-10ft tall and while the culms in the right clone are 12-13ft "tall" they arch so for screening purposes they'll only hide 8-10ft eyesores.

Hopefully he'll chime in.

Just found his screen name Michigan Bamboo, also his collection and website.

john
z6
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 2.29.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-20 at 2.28.38 PM.png
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Rotas

Post by Rotas »

Maybe "Fargesia murielae Superjumbo" - Mine is after 4 years 3m tall and still growing higher.
It has also no problems with cold winters - but not sure if it grows well in clay.
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

I don't think 'Superjumbo' is available in North America.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
dependable

Post by dependable »

From_LV wrote:How much maintenance involving runners as I don't want to upset my neighbors? Will it all of the sudden show up in my neighbor yard? I'm think of planting it 5' from the property line. I want some evergreen that is not conifers. Bamboo seems to fit the bill. Thanks!
There are a lot of old posts on here about containment of runners. But the short answer is you might do well to install a plastic rhizome or root barrier along the property line. If you put it to a depth of 30 inches down, with an inch or two above ground, it will stop bamboo form running in that direction. It is pretty easy to install if you rent or hire a chain trencher. Remember to check for buried utilities.

If you check the "products" bar at top of this page, and search 'rhizome barrier', several vendors will come up.
vindiesel.zmaj

Post by vindiesel.zmaj »

Try fargesia robusta campbell. It grows about 4.5-5m in zone 7b/8a, it should be at least 3.5m tall in zone 6. Cool thing about this fargesia is that it has second shooting period during summer. Canes are smaller than those in spring, but still.... And that clay, it would be wise to do a little mixing with good soil, or at least somo other organic matter, cause almost any plant will grow and spread slower in clay than in good soil....