Newbie Zone 8b

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Ophiuchus
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Newbie Zone 8b

Post by Ophiuchus »

Kentuck wrote:Yes, I'd like to see your propagator also. Sounds interesting. I forgot to mention, sometimes when I top off a culm after taking a division, I will cut it into about 3-foot sections and stick them in the ground next to where my air conditioner condenser water drips from the unit, and it is also next to where I have a water faucet. The ground remains moist there and gets no direct sunlight. I have had a couple start to grow this way but I lost them later when I neglected to keep them watered enough during our droughts or also it could have been the excessive Summer heat that did them it. I have more time now so I may try to propagate by cutting again and see if I can find the best way and time of year to do this technique.
I was able to post some pics on this thread http://www.bambooweb.info/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6859 Check them out.
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Nice looking setup! Let me know how it works. I have a couple of bamboos that are difficult to get small divisions from and that might be my answer.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Kentuck, I'm watching shoots on several genus thus year and thus far I have only Bambusa Oldhamii shooting among the Bambusa I have. It' shoots are elongating WAY slower than all the other genus. Is that typical of Bambusa or perhaps more of a statement on the vigor of this particular plant?

BTW - nice to see you here again!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

Thanks, and glad to be here!
My Oldhamii does not put up new shoots until late July or August, depending on the weather here. Textilis is one of the last to shoot, sometimes as late as early September and on until winter hits. Oldhamii shoots start off slow but will speed up as they get a few feet tall but weather plays a part in how fast they elongate. If it is very rainy, they grow slower, but if they have good moisture and a lot of sunshine, they grow pretty fast, about like all my other Bambusas. B. multiplexes will shoot from early spring until fall but the general heavy shooting season is mid-Summer.
I am looking forward to some large Oldhamii culms this year after my plants suffered a few years ago from harsh winters and several drought years combined. Recently, I have been able to care more for them and they should be very nice this year.
needmore

Post by needmore »

We did have a cooler rainy spell after they started, some Phyllostachys shoots starting at the same time are now full height and leafing out, Oldhamii shoots both only a few inches tall still. Supposed to get 88F Weds but then cool weekend so I'll see how they respond in the next few days Thanks for the info!
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Kentuck

Post by Kentuck »

My Vivax started shooting about a week after my Moso. The Moso are almost all fully grown and branching out but some of the Vivax remained only a few inches in height and one has only really started to grow. Strange...
Case

Post by Case »

I am just north of you towards Fairhope.

I have been growing Oldhamii hirose, Chungii and the smaller variety, Bambusa emeiensis (flava and viri) and Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata Inversa' all in the ground for about 4 years.

Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' and Bambusa textilis 'Kanapaha' in pots right now.

Those few hard winters took a toll on Hirose but this year it is looking pretty good. I can snap a few pictures in the next few days and share them. The Chungii is really starting to take off this year as well.
Ophiuchus

Post by Ophiuchus »

Case wrote:I am just north of you towards Fairhope.

I have been growing Oldhamii hirose, Chungii and the smaller variety, Bambusa emeiensis (flava and viri) and Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata Inversa' all in the ground for about 4 years.

Bambusa eutuldoides 'Viridivittata' and Bambusa textilis 'Kanapaha' in pots right now.

Those few hard winters took a toll on Hirose but this year it is looking pretty good. I can snap a few pictures in the next few days and share them. The Chungii is really starting to take off this year as well.
Awesome. I got 3 gal plants in the ground this May. There are plenty of new shoots and all of them seem healthy. I planted 12 Graceful, 14 Emerald, 8 Kanapaha and 1 Chungii. I had started with 1 Graceful I planted in Nov 15. I had 6 new shoots come up in a much larger diameter. It has been fascinating to watch and I can't wait to see my new plants mature.

4 yr old plants must be beautiful, I'd love to see some pics. Thanks.
Adam A

Post by Adam A »

I am in Gulf Breeze, I brought graceful bamboo with me from Melbourne. It did very well in the ground here. I am getting ready to put 6-7 species on my new property. Has anyone in this area had good success with angel mist or bambusa nana?