Phyllostachys edulis in mediterranean forest

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Boukou
Location info: 0

Phyllostachys edulis in mediterranean forest

Post by Boukou »

Hello I am seeking some advise concerning a project I have started in order to create a small bamboo area in a property i own. The area contains of mediterranean forest (oak trees etc average 3 meters) and some scrubs. I planted there 5 plants (moso) of the age of 1-2 years old that I grew from seed and had previously in pots that have some pretty nice dense rootballs.
Its been about 4-5 days now since the plants are in their new environment and i noticed that some leaves are turning yellow/brown at a fast pace. The yellowing is happening in the first (the oldest) leaves of each clum and first happens first in the edges of the leaf and then in its middle.
I would suspect over watering but since the soil is pretty dry this season i dont think this is the cause.
I havent had a ph soil test so i dont know whether the soil is acidic or basic.
What i do know is that some of the plants are in black forrest soil that comes from natural leave compost and some plants are in a more red/brown soil.
I also water them via bucket from a small pond that there is nearby that was probably created for animal consumption, and is rather dirty but i did not think it would cause a problem.
It could also be stress from the transfering them, since its happening to all 5 plants regardless of location and soil (some plants are more than 20 meters apart from each other, other are as close as 5 meters).
Apart from the yellowing, new leaves are growing normally and some shoots that were in development have even grown a little
What i plan on doing, is spray them with a contact/stomach pesticide in order to protect them from the new insects that they might be introduced to that could be chewing their root system and also do a soil ph test to determine if the soil is indeed basic.
Does anyone have a similar experience that could help me out here? Its been 3 really tiring days of transfering them to this location and i wouldnt want to lose my plants.. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for your time.
Attachments
This is the water pond i've talked about
This is the water pond i've talked about
This is the picture i took today (16/10)
This is the picture i took today (16/10)
This is the picture i took the day i planted it (12/10)
This is the picture i took the day i planted it (12/10)
Last edited by Boukou on Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
Boukou

Re: Phyllostachys edulis in mediterranean forest

Post by Boukou »

These leaves were not yellow a few days ago
Attachments
rsz_img_20171016_123738.jpg
rsz_img_20171016_123727.jpg
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

I don't know what is causing the yellow leaves, sorry. I seem to remember my Moso seedlings doing that when they were that size. They all survived though. Mine were the same size as yours when I planted them and now they are getting close to 4". Yours are probably just adjusting or something. If you have oak trees and stuff then it should be a good place for Moso I think..
Attachments
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

I don't see anything strange on those photos, it seems bamboos are still healthy and I'm sure they will get going soon. Moso starts yellowing in the fall and can drop quite a lot of leaves and often leaves only 2 or 3 leaves on top of each branch during the winter. Perhaps change of environment triggered the leaf fall. I'm not sure about the climate you're living in, but I'd guess they have almost two months to grow this season. As soon as they get into the surrounding soil, they will grow rhizomes and start running. I think you can expect first rhizomes braking out in the next month or two if weather allows it. Rhizomes of undisturbed bamboos grow until soil temperature drops below around 5°C. When it gets below 8°C, all growth considerably slows down, but not completely.

Moso can be quite picky when it comes to,... everything, but believe me, it likes to grow outside of the pot.
Cooper12
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by Cooper12 »

many of the older leaves on my bamboo are turning yellow. They do that every fall . In the spring they push new fresh foliage
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country