Semi tropical for micro climate?

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Semi tropical for micro climate?

Post by needmore »

A potential new place we're pursuing looks to have a bit of a micro-climate in one area as I see a neglected bird of paradise trying to flower and those are not so hardy I think?

In any case I have two cold sensitive Bambusa and want another couple plus a Dendrocalamus. I'd guess my winter would be like the FL panhandle or maybe a tad farther south, solid zone 9 that will get a few light freezes of a few hours duration, last winter 29 was the low but it will go colder than that.

I already have the first 2 on this list and want the second 2, anyone have an idea which would likely be the most cold sensitive and need the best micro climate? Also any other sub tropical clumpers I'm not considering that have unusual culm characteristics?

Already have:
B eutuldoides 'Viridivittata'
B pervariabilis 'Viridistriatta'

Plan to get:
B chungii
D minor 'Amoenis'
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Ophiuchus

Re: Semi tropical for micro climate?

Post by Ophiuchus »

I'm in zone 8B and we had three days of 21 degrees this winter, which was the first winter my B Chungii got in the ground. Planted May 20, 2016. I also had 3 gal pots that didn't do as well. I managed to save 2 of 5 I had purchased after planting in ground. I don't want to totally blame the winter for their demise, because I did transplant them into 7 gallon pots and the root ball was a bit too immature.

B Chungii in the ground had a few culms burned at the top, but has been the best producer of new culms. Of course when I planted the 3 gal it was a twig, but now (16 months later) its about 18' and very full.

The B Mutabilis (Emerald) I planted at the same time looks awesome. I expected the Kanapaha to do even better, but the growth was a bit more erratic but comparable in height. About 23' now for both species.
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

Brad, I've got about 15 large clumps of Chungii that tolerated light frost for about 5-6 hours last season with no problems at all. I'm guessing the temps were around 28 or so. I'm in a solid 9a here in central Fla. We get frost every season. I've also got 5 large clumps of D. Minor A that did fine as well. Those are close to the house which might've helped. My birds of paradise (both orange and white) did just fine as well. I'm guessing smaller chungii and D. Minor might have suffered a bit more but the mature clumps did well.
-shu
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Forwarding response from a duplicated folder:

But to answer your question, the D. Minor 'amoenus' will need the most protection without a doubt. The B. Chungii is more cold tolerant. If you lived closer I'd give you a division of B. Eutoldoides 'viridivittata' inversa next season. I'll have a few divisions early next summer.

needmore

Post by needmore »

Good info all thanx, the Amoenus is what I'd want in the most protected area anyway so that syncs nicely. I'm surprised how tough it is for me to find that and Chungii in CA, I can mail order from Robert of course but was hoping for larger starter plants. The only Chungii I've found is $150 5 gal, $250 15 gal :shock:
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

needmore wrote:Good info all thanx, the Amoenus is what I'd want in the most protected area anyway so that syncs nicely. I'm surprised how tough it is for me to find that and Chungii in CA, I can mail order from Robert of course but was hoping for larger starter plants. The only Chungii I've found is $150 5 gal, $250 15 gal :shock:
I see that a lot here too. Some nurseries, especially the ones that don't normally sell bamboo, charge these insane prices for bamboo. Many of which are misidentified or full of mealy bugs, or both. My only rational is that they paid retail so they have to mark the plants up to make a profit. Sometimes I'll find a place that has a fairly rare species, and doesn't know it, priced cheap and that's always a bonus. But the latter is few and far in between. $150 for a 5 gallon is hard to swallow. I guess it's because it's harder to produce smaller B. Chungii as it doesn't propagate from cuttings to well, if at all. I've heard of various ways to produce smaller Chungii but I have yet to try it. For me, it's just easier to make divisions from larger specimens after I cut the bulk of the culm off. I've heard of various ways to air layer or even to bury a larger plant and wait till it produces smaller shoots(which is how I suspect Robert does it). Hopefully next spring I can start to trial and error myself into success. I've propagated several B. Oldhamii and a ton of B. Vulgaris, B. Vulgaris 'vittata' and B. Vulgaris 'wamin' from cuttings when I lived closer to the beach. Aside from the B. Oldhamii the other species aren't cold hardy enough to survive my winter lows since we moved to the middle of the state. I now have much more property but in a zone lower. Next spring I've got a lot of propagating to do.
-shu
shuboo

Post by shuboo »

Also, if you do have to start your Chungii or D. Minor from smaller plants, they both explode with new shoots faster than just about any other clumpers. From 3 gallon to monsters in 2-3 seasons under great conditions isn't unusual. Good luck and keep us posted....
-shu
needmore

Post by needmore »

As usual impatience is the issue, I would have a focal point to plant next to the front door in a protected area and I thin the Amoenus with the larger leaves would be ideal but I'll have to wait to size up a mail order plant first before it is a focal plant. Impatience may lead to me planting one of the yellow Bambusa I've already got going. If I thought the Parker would not flower it would be the one but I still expect it to.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Doesn't matter the zone, Brad loves pushing those hardiness ratings. :wink:

("I guess we all do really though", he says as he pulls the last few nigra rhizomes out of the bed...
needmore

Post by needmore »

Don't ya just hate the thought of potentially wasting a micro-climate area :albino:
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

I hope you try Lako :o
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I'm on 3rd attempt at chungii. It's currently doing good. Based upon my observations: 1) Location, location. 2) Critter candy - protection a must, 3) Will shoot late in year just as temps fall. New shoots need protection. 4) Appears not to be frost hardy but not sure, 5) takes a long time to adapt to new conditions. Get local stock if you want faster results. Bottom line - price probably high because it is not as tolerant to conditions as other bambusa's. My clone X was planted at the same time (same area) and is doing better. I like different stuff and clone X delivers with less attention. I'm into survival of fittest mode. You have seen my place and I'm sure you understand. Rgds
Cooper12

Post by Cooper12 »

Fred, do you think with chungii it's more so the amount of cold nights as opposed to the actual absolute lows? I've heard a few times now it takes upper teens with no damage low teens with top kill but recovery. I debated trying it since multiplex and textilis varieties live here but am concerned as in the areas I heard about Chungii taking it that cold have only occasional cold snaps while here we have numerous mornings in the 20s during the winter
Jason Floyd
Hangtown Farms

Emmett Idaho
Zone 7A
Potato country
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Post by fredgpops »

I'm not sure re the number of days issue. Ditto re issue of frost, especially hard frost. All of the chungii that I have planted have been one culm, not very mature, probably more prone to low temps and heavy frost than mature plants. I don't get many days below mid-20's in total but they do come two or three days at a time. The other issue is that I have abt 3 different eco zones in close proximity. I get no frost in some and heavy frost in others plus temps can very. Rgds