Adding to the collection from Kimmei

Other things that involve bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Deane
Location info: 0

Adding to the collection from Kimmei

Post by Deane »

Today I recived my order from Jos van der Palen at Kimmei of Himalayacalamus falconeri 'damarapa'
Phyllostachys rubromarginata
Phyllostachys flexuosa 'Kimmei-Inversa Cornelia d'Alba'
Phyllostachys Aurea 'holochrysa '
Phyllostachys Aurea 'Flavescens Inversa'
Phyllostachys Tianmuensis so spent most of the day planting
Attachments
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1178.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG
iain

Re: Adding to the collection from Kimmei

Post by iain »

Nice to see rarer plants being imported into these desolate isles. Good stuff. These are nursery beds, right?
Boohoo?
Deane

Post by Deane »

iain wrote:Nice to see rarer plants being imported into these desolate isles. Good stuff. These are nursery beds, right?
Hi iain yeah I have 14 different bamboos in my garden and the rest of my collection at my nursery, with 57 different species plus doubles in the ground it's easy to run out of space, moving house next year to a house with acres hopefully so will move my collection there
iain

Post by iain »

That's a sizeable collection. With acres of planting, and time, you could hold open days and charge admittance.

Speaking of Kimmei. I find the description of the P. edulis seedling ‘Bokrijk’ tempting:

In the Belgian arboretum Bokrijk after the severe winter of 1996-1997 were planted approximately 20 seedlings of this species. The winter of 2009/2010 was also so severe in Bokrijk that even Semiarundinaria fastuosa, who stood beside and most of these Phyllostachys edulis seedlings were frozen back to the ground. Only one Phyllostachys edulis seedling survived this winter and also the next two severe winters without damage. This exceptional seedling (it was named by the Botanical Garden Phyllostachys edulis 'Bokrijk') got new culms in 2012 with a diameter of nearly 7 cm and a height of 8-9 meters.
Boohoo?
Deane

Post by Deane »

iain wrote:That's a sizeable collection. With acres of planting, and time, you could hold open days and charge admittance.

Speaking of Kimmei. I find the description of the P. edulis seedling ‘Bokrijk’ tempting:

In the Belgian arboretum Bokrijk after the severe winter of 1996-1997 were planted approximately 20 seedlings of this species. The winter of 2009/2010 was also so severe in Bokrijk that even Semiarundinaria fastuosa, who stood beside and most of these Phyllostachys edulis seedlings were frozen back to the ground. Only one Phyllostachys edulis seedling survived this winter and also the next two severe winters without damage. This exceptional seedling (it was named by the Botanical Garden Phyllostachys edulis 'Bokrijk') got new culms in 2012 with a diameter of nearly 7 cm and a height of 8-9 meters.
Funny you say about P.edulis 'Bokrijk' I have recently pre-ordered it with Jürgen, standard P.edulis seem to be growing well where I am but I can see why Bokrijk would be interesting to you in Scotland,I remember Kerri from Scottish bamboo saying she has tried edulis many times with out success