Think my Phyllostachys Iridescens is going to seed

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Re: Think my Phyllostachys Iridescens is going to seed

Post by needmore »

Phy flexuosa can have shoots that tend toward red and has flowered in the recent past has it not?
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Deane

Post by Deane »

Markj wrote:Hi Deane, used to sell/give away a fair bit- but some seem to under a fungus attack which has limited it lately. Is their anything your particularly interested in?
sorry for late reply Mark ,do you have a list of what you have at all
Deane

Post by Deane »

Mark I have seen your list and sent you a PM
BigNose

Post by BigNose »

Deane wrote:Thanks for replys ,I got this bamboo from a friend who is a bit of a bamboo expert ,having said that he could well be wrong ,although it's quite rare in uk it is available http://www.uk-bamboos.co.uk/Detail-B/ph ... escens.htm ,I have found a picture of it shooting so maybe you good people could id it to confirm it's identity
Deane,
Long time no speaky! Hope you are well? :)
And nice to see you are still doubting me, despite my 30 years of growing hundreds of different species of Bamboo!!? Haha!!! ;)

Your Iridescens is DEFINITELY an Iridescens because ......wasn't it a division from me!?! :)
They are extremely easy to identify when you have spent a lifetime visiting Bamboo gardens and growing Phyllostachys & looking at them all day long!
And yes, my large potted Iridescens is also in full flower this year for the first time.... :(
Only consolation is we should be able to get plenty of seeds!!

Will post some photos over the weekend if I get chance Buddy.
Will have to meet up again sometime soon?
Best Wishes
Ed.
Deane

Post by Deane »

BigNose wrote:
Deane wrote:Thanks for replys ,I got this bamboo from a friend who is a bit of a bamboo expert ,having said that he could well be wrong ,although it's quite rare in uk it is available http://www.uk-bamboos.co.uk/Detail-B/ph ... escens.htm ,I have found a picture of it shooting so maybe you good people could id it to confirm it's identity
Deane,
Long time no speaky! Hope you are well? :)
And nice to see you are still doubting me, despite my 30 years of growing hundreds of different species of Bamboo!!? Haha!!! ;)

Your Iridescens is DEFINITELY an Iridescens because ......wasn't it a division from me!?! :)
They are extremely easy to identify when you have spent a lifetime visiting Bamboo gardens and growing Phyllostachys & looking at them all day long!
And yes, my large potted Iridescens is also in full flower this year for the first time.... :(
Only consolation is we should be able to get plenty of seeds!!

Will post some photos over the weekend if I get chance Buddy.
Will have to meet up again sometime soon?
Best Wishes
Ed.
hi Ed hope you are well too , I find it very strange that only mine and yours are in flower ,there is no report of flowering from Kimmei or anyone else , don't get me wrong I value your experience with bamboo ,is it possible there is different strains of Iridescens , I thought that if a specific bamboo went to flower that all of that bamboo would flower world wide or am I incorrect ,yeah Ed it would be good to meet again my collection has grown quite a bit since last time