Landscape Scenery Help with Bamboo Needed

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

ac555
Location info: 0

Landscape Scenery Help with Bamboo Needed

Post by ac555 »

I attached the pictures, so you can see what I am working with. It's in Tampa FL, so mostly humid and hot weather. Very shaded, and the bamboo sheds a lot as you can see. Looking for ideas for landscape design. Want to make it kind of like a relaxing area. Though about broken sea shells or pebbles around it, but it will make it difficult with how much it sheds. Also, it's pretty dense through most of it. Do people usually cut some down to thin it out a little? Wanting to do like a Japanese them. I have a huge backyard, and this is in the back. Running electrical for running a pond pump or anything will be difficult. The roots from the bamboo are shallow, so digging is also difficult.
Attachments
sh00000001.JPG
sh00000004.JPG
sh00000005.JPG
fredgpops
Location: plus 700ft in the Santa Cruz Mtns, 8 miles from the Pacific
35 miles S. of San Jose

Re: Landscape Scenery Help with Bamboo Needed

Post by fredgpops »

I would thin the bamboo out especially close to the fence. You have a potential disaster with neighbors if you don't protect fence lines. You have great potential. I can't see the full extent of the palm but on the surface but it looks out of place. A fan palm or too wld look good, as would various gingers and canna. You must have some good nurseries specializing in tropical plants. I'd work with one of them. If you wld like to trade some bamboo for ginger and canna, let me know. Good luck.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

In my opinion, such large bamboo grove doesn't look good in a corner. It should be in the open somewhere, and not as thick. You should be able to walk around it, and also makes trimming/maintenance easier. Should remove those canes that leaned more than 45 degrees.
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

In my own garden, I find the bamboos look best when contrasted with larger leaves. So I grow a lot of elephant ears and have a big clump of bananas. Textural contrast is key!
You'll also want to put a few places to sit there, maybe one nestled in with the plants, and at least one further away that has a great view of the area.