Boo Shoots 2017

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

Nicholas
Location info: 0

Re: Boo Shoots 2017

Post by Nicholas »

needmore wrote:
wolfedg wrote:The Atrovaginata took a pretty good hit its first winter but appears to be shaking it off quite well. The main plant has only about 10-15 green leaves left but its shooting 4 shoots(3 shown here as one is just barely through the mulch) that are about the same size as last years 2 so if they all succeed it will be an improvement. Not to mention I am hoping there are more shoots that havent made it through the mulch yet. Time will tell.
Do you have a solid ID on this one?
Brad, I share your concerns

Unfortunately the shoots look like they are absolutely tiny (check out the finger in the second picture) so without some more mature shoots giving a good ID is difficult.

I do not know where wolfedg is located so his expected shooting time for Atrovaginata may be different but here in Austria (around zone 7) it is generally one of the late shooters.
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

needmore wrote:
wolfedg wrote:The Atrovaginata took a pretty good hit its first winter but appears to be shaking it off quite well. The main plant has only about 10-15 green leaves left but its shooting 4 shoots(3 shown here as one is just barely through the mulch) that are about the same size as last years 2 so if they all succeed it will be an improvement. Not to mention I am hoping there are more shoots that havent made it through the mulch yet. Time will tell.
I know the shoots dont look exactly like Atro, but i presumed that is because it is a juvenile plant and also because they haven't gotten much sun since they came up. It was purchased from Maya Gardens via the internet which seemed to be a reputable vendor. It also came with a wrap label identifying it as Phyllostachys Atrovaginata. If you think it may be something else let me know. Hope I didnt buy a lemon as Atro is the one i really wanted. The shoots are between the diameter of a chopstick and the diameter of a pencil. the longest one is about 4-5" in length. The shooting time for the first shoot was within days of what it was last year around Mar 20.

link https://mayagardensinc.com/collections/ ... nse-bamboo
Last edited by wolfedg on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my new blog Wolf's Gardens, Games, and other Getaways
https://wolfedg.blogspot.com/
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Does it smell like incense? Perhaps ID will not be that hard :)
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

Tarzanus wrote:Does it smell like incense? Perhaps ID will not be that hard :)
Not that I have noticed, but the plant is still rather small and I dont want to damage it trying to ID it, especially during shooting season when there may be shoots right under my feet. Thought I would like to know if it isnt so I can get the REAL atro in there, especially if its not a hardy variety or its not one thats going to impress in size and appearance so I can move it to a less prime location before the rhizomes have gone too far.
needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

Your shooting season should be very similar to my place in Indiana and Atrovaginata was always the last Phy to shoot for me, usually not unti early to mid May. Juvenile plants of course do not follow normal schedules. The construct of the shoot also looks wrong to me but again, juvenile plants do that. I would like to see it turn solid wine color in the next few days as even juvy Atro I think would do that - plus very wavy blades at the top.

Here is my Atro when it was young and there are skinny shoots in the background.

Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

needmore wrote:Your shooting season should be very similar to my place in Indiana and Atrovaginata was always the last Phy to shoot for me, usually not unti early to mid May. Juvenile plants of course do not follow normal schedules. The construct of the shoot also looks wrong to me but again, juvenile plants do that. I would like to see it turn solid wine color in the next few days as even juvy Atro I think would do that - plus very wavy blades at the top.
I'll +1 the wavy blades but not necessarily the wine colour as a definitive characteristic.

My atrovaginata shoots all are very dark, with some green striping in them and it has always been like that.
The dark areas/stripes definitely have some dark red and purple hues in them but nothing as bright as in your pictures.
On the other hand my parvifolia shoots look very much like the pictures of your atrovaginata shoots with predominantly brighter red/ pinkish hues.
It makes sense that both boos have relatively similar shoots as they are apparently closely related.

I've attached pics of both parvifolia and atrovaginata as they appear in my garden.

A very typical thing on the atrovaginata culm sheaths that was only mildly present on the parvifolia sheaths is the white margin.
As atrovaginata shoots become more mature/bigger this white margin creates the very typical wavy zig-zag pattern across shoots that makes it really easy to identify.

I guess we will know more once the boo starts to create bigger shoots.

All the best,

Nicholas
Attachments
parvifolia.JPG
atrovaginata.JPG
needmore

Post by needmore »

For sure they darken like yours as they mature, but my juvenile shoots were always that bright wine color, may have just been local conditions though.
wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

After doing quite a lot of searching and looking at shoots of various common phyllostachys, I have come to the conclusion that it is still very possible it is Atrovaginata. What did it for me was this image of an Atro shoot by stevelau
link http://www.bambooweb.info/ShowBambooPic ... nus=*&s=31.

My plant structure, culm color and most importantly shoots are consistent with stevelau's picture. Especially notice the red tips and reddish tint of the lower half of the culm leaves.
One other possibility I haven't completely ruled out is Bissetii based on the shoots. At any rate here is what I know about the plant. It is an aggressive runner and shooter as demonstrated by the now 6 new shoots in various places in a 3 ft radius around a 1 year old largely defoliated plant(largely my fault for improper covering of the plant). It came with much larger leaves when shipped but developed smaller leaves on the first new culms last year. The culms start out fairly dark green but fade to olive(basically the color of stevelau's plant above).
needmore

Post by needmore »

wolfedg wrote:After doing quite a lot of searching and looking at shoots of various common phyllostachys, I have come to the conclusion that it is still very possible it is Atrovaginata.
Yours indeed could be correct. The combination of shoot timing and appearance causes some suspicion. Be interesting to watch it unfold.

Here is someone's from WA states photo of a younger plant.

Mine turned into this.

wolfedg

Post by wolfedg »

Here is another update. The wine color does seem to be filling in a bit.
mshaffer

Post by mshaffer »

I went to the National Arboretum today to see if the Moso was shooting and didn't see any.

I just measured one of my Moso shoots and it's 4" diameter. Most of my moso isn't shooting though, just this area that I mulch a lot. I guess maybe the mulch is decomposing and warms the ground up or something. I mulched it about a month ago.
Attachments
bambooo03292017b.JPG
bambooo03292017a.JPG
fatpaw

Post by fatpaw »

my first bamboo shoots of the 2017 season, moso, looks like it is upsizing, about 1 inch thick so far, it is the second year for it here in southwest ohio
IMG_20170330_184905.jpg
needmore

Post by needmore »

mshaffer wrote:I went to the National Arboretum today to see if the Moso was shooting and didn't see any.

I just measured one of my Moso shoots and it's 4" diameter. Most of my moso isn't shooting though, just this area that I mulch a lot. I guess maybe the mulch is decomposing and warms the ground up or something. I mulched it about a month ago.
Nice work there!
needmore

Post by needmore »

fatpaw wrote:my first bamboo shoots of the 2017 season, moso, looks like it is upsizing, about 1 inch thick so far, it is the second year for it here in southwest ohio

Off to a real good start there!
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

needmore wrote:
I was going to ask the same thing. This is much too early for atrovaginata to shoot, and the shoots are darker than that, at least on a more mature plant. I know you're farther south than me so maybe things are a little ahead of me, but atro shoots in early June for me if I remember correctly -- maybe May. Never before the aureosulcatas, that's for sure.