Boo-Shoots 2016

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

johnw
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Re: Boo-Shoots 2016

Post by johnw »

One of three shoots of Phyllostachys propinqua 'Beijing' surfaced today along with P. parvifolia.

johnw
Attachments
Phyllostachys propinqua 'Beijing' IMG-20160531-09711.jpg
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

Jiuzhaigou 1 shoots viewed from SE & SW
Attachments
06.02.16 09.21 AM.jpg
06.02.16 09.22 AM.jpg
"memory is the future of the past"
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Shanghai 3 and a small Ensete Ventricosum 'Maurelii'

Parvifolia apparently has its off year with no significant upsize and relatively few shoots
I'm using a few concrete bricks to straighten the culms a bit while they are still soft

Atrovaginata has put up quite a few shoots and this one should end up over 1" in diameter

Vivax Aureocaulis is throwing up many shoots now with a decent size

Huangwenzhu hasn't produced any shoots for two years because of vole damage so I'm happy it is still alive and kicking

Last edited by Nicholas on Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

Here's the bicolor recovering this year, 4 culms, 2 look to get over 6ft. The other 2 will be in the 3-4ft range, but even with a few good culms, this bamboo can rebound back to its 2013/2014 size as long as I can prevent another drainage issue and ensure that it stays well protected through the winter. 6-7 ft culms will not require a greenhouse, and will be really easy to protect.

VHI is doing well with a huge upsize.

It's pretty awesome how parvifolia leafs back out all the way, but the drawback is hardly any energy allocated to shoot production. At least there's no loss even with one extremely cold night at -12F. How cold does it have to get to cause top kill on parvifolia? It's already too big to tarp, and only looks to get bigger with some successive warm winters.

Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Wow, it really did suffer! Nearly perished it seems. If you haven't already, dig out a trench all around it and if possible, dig a canal into the stream you have nearby if I remember correctly. Or you can connect that trench and stream with drainage pipes if stream lays lower than your property.

Might also be an off year. We all know how strange is Moso when it comes to shooting, some seasons it's explosive, some years it doesn't even break a sweat.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

They only get on and off years once they reach a mature scale. I'm pretty happy with the recovery performance this season because it is at least better than it was in 2012. I just hope the foliage gets very heavy, and lots of good rhizomes are produced.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

stevelau1911 wrote:They only get on and off years once they reach a mature scale. I'm pretty happy with the recovery performance this season because it is at least better than it was in 2012. I just hope the foliage gets very heavy, and lots of good rhizomes are produced.
Are you sure about that?
I've had mine on strike, despite unbelievable activity below ground (or because of it). This year, however, it exploded.

Anyway.. good luck! Hope it rebounds with vengeance. The upsize a few years ago was unnatural. :)
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

If the shoots are fairly spread out now, that means there may be more mature rhizomes with large viable buds under there so a crazy upsize with a near 2 inch shoot could happen next year, but my hope is for the energy to be more spread out with at least 5 or more shoots 3/4 inch or larger.

This plant has just about topped off by now at 6-7ft with the 2 larger culms, but they are small enough to have branching all the way to soil level which means no wasted energy on the production of culm. If what I've observed in the past is correct, this plant will go straight into the production of rhizomes directly after it finishes leafing out in a bit over 2 month, unless more whip shoots are produced.
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Borinda fungosa (or gaolinensis) seems to be shooting. This time for real. One of last year's late shoots that survived the winter is already around 2m tall, and then there are two more shoots that started growing like a month ago, but never really kicked off. Now the shoots started appearing in larger numbers and also look larger. Can it break 2 inches mark this year? :)
Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

Hibanobambusa tranquillans 'Shiroshima' is showing vertical white stripes on its culms for the first time.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

The bicolor shoots have tapered off to their full height, and a couple of them are a few inches over 6ft when stretched out all the way while the middle one is no more than 4ft, and the smallest one is lagging well behind under 2ft. As shown, they are hardened off, and done growing by now, but whip shoots are still possible once its fully leafed out in a couple of months.

With the size it is at this year, I find that it should be feasible to gather up enough energy for at least 5 culms that are at least 3/4 of an inch by 8ft or better especially given that it should be a warmer summer this year.

wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

Yushania Maculata bought in #1 pot last spring and planted in ground in December showing nice shoots with an entertaining contrast between culm and sheath.
Attachments
06.25.16 09.15 AM.jpg
06.24.16 06.50 AM.jpg
06.25.16 06.03 AM.jpg
johnw

Post by johnw »

wind-borne

Do you think there is any hope that any Yushania species might be worth a try here on the coast? I know some formists in the east have found them tender but is there a chance it is a case, as in the Fargesias, that they are seriously weakened by hot summers and as a result have been winter-killed?

johnw
wind-borne

Post by wind-borne »

John

I wouldn’t want to rely on hope and personally don’t want marginal plants in my limited space so my perspective is skewed. I don’t know enough about cold hardiness yet do find the thought that weakened in summer would doom in winter or vice versa an interesting idea. Our low last winter was 26˚F so relevant data lacking nor do I know anyone locally with Yushania, I bought at an inland nursery.
I remember reading here that they didn't like hot nor cold. :blackeye:
johnw

Post by johnw »

Phyllostachys aureosulcata ’Aureocaulis’ IMG-20160626-10341.jpg
Two warmish summers combined with two relatively mild winters (-17c and -15c) have made for a record upsize on my friend's Phyllostachys aureosulcata ’Aureocaulis’. Not quite 1.75" about 4 cm in diameter. The colours are extraordinary.

johnw
Attachments
Phyllostachys aureosulcata ’Aureocaulis’ IMG-20160626-10362.jpg
Phyllostachys aureosulcata ’Aureocaulis’ IMG-20160626-10359.jpg
Phyllostachys aureosulcata ’Aureocaulis’ IMG-20160626-10348.jpg
Phyllostachys aureosulcata ’Aureocaulis’ IMG-20160626-10344.jpg