Need some bamboo advice

Ask questions about growing bamboo

Moderator: needmore

OskieBoy
Location info: 0

Need some bamboo advice

Post by OskieBoy »

I am planting some bamboo, partially for a screen and partially for fun. I am new to bamboo and would like your opinion on my plan so far. The bamboo area I am planting makes an upside down "U" shape in my backyard following a fence line. I have three areas for planting, the back-left side, which is 35 feet by 5 feet, the back-center which is 110 feet by 10 feet, and the back-right area which is a 20 foot by 15 foot triangle. I live outside Memphis TN in zone 7b, and I have already installed 300+ feet of rhizome barrier (60mm*30 inch) around the whole project, because I do not want problems with the neighbors and because I may build a liner pond in the future. I plan on keeping the rhizomes off the barrier by digging around it at least once a year when it becomes necessary, to help preserve the barrier. I am also raising the planting area a few inches above the rest of the yard. And everything gets full sun.

the back-left side, which is 35 feet by 5 feet. planning on bissetti
the back-center which is 110 feet by 10 feet. Planning on mixing aureosulcata and spectabilis
the back-right area which is a 20 feet by 15 feet. possibly hennon, dulcis,

1.) Do you think I will achieve a privacy screen with 35 feet by 5 feet of bissetti?
2.) What do you think about mixing aureosulcata and spectabilis? I am considering putting 10 plants in the center-back area spaced out evenly. I would alternate one after the other across the 110 feet. I know that competition between two species is not advisable, but since these are basically the same would it be alright? Also, If the center-back privacy screen is 110 feet by 10 feet, I am assuming that is adequate to work as a "screen" blocking out any of the neighbors through the fence?
3.) What is the largest diameter species I can put in the back-right area which is a 20 feet by 15 feet? Would hennon be okay for this? Screening is not a problem for this spot.
Back-right area
Back-right area
IMG_1227.JPG (62.43 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Attachments
Center-back area
Center-back area
IMG_1231.JPG (47.83 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
Back-left area
Back-left area
IMG_1237.JPG (55.76 KiB) Viewed 4750 times
dependable

Re: Need some bamboo advice

Post by dependable »

1. Bissetti makes a good screen. 5 feet should just about do it.

2. It is OK to mix the aueosulcata with the spectabilis, should work out fine for a screen also.

3. Henon or vivax would probably be OK. You may get occasional winter damage. Another one to consider is P rubromaginata, that is a little hardier & more dense shooting.

Good luck, it looks like you are on the right track.
T9D

Post by T9D »

I'd stick some Vivax in there if you want some fat culms fast.

And if you want some color and fat culms I'd get the Phyllostachys vivax
'Huangwenzhu Inversa'. I have some small ones right now I never put in the ground. But I did see some full sized groves at the bamboo nursery that is impressive and very striking looking.
T9D

Post by T9D »

Oh and while you're at it I'd go get 10 yards at least (maybe 20) of compost and mix it all in before you plant anything. Then not have to worry about it. Will all grow like mad. If it were me Id probably cut down that tree in the center right away too. You may like it but it's just going to shade your bamboo and inhibit it's growth. Then when the bamboo gets bigger it will probably shade the tree and the tree will not be all that healthy. Might as well get rid of it now and just have a nice clean grove.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

OskieBoy wrote: I live outside Memphis TN in zone 7b, and I have already installed 300+ feet of rhizome barrier (60mm*30 inch) around the whole project, because I do not want problems with the neighbors and because I may build a liner pond in the future. I plan on keeping the rhizomes off the barrier by digging around it at least once a year when it becomes necessary, to help preserve the barrier. I am also raising the planting area a few inches above the rest of the yard. And everything gets full sun.
You've clearly put a lot of work into this. It will be interesting to see how the barrier will hold up in the long term.
I think you mean 60 mil barrier (HDPE I assume) which I believe is 0.06" or roughly 1.5mm metric.
It should be fine for quite a few years before you'll have to worry about rhizomes putting too much pressure on the barrier.
Cutting rhizomes is a prudent measure but probably not necessary for some time. Keep a look out that the rhizomes don't dive too deep, which may happen if the soil becomes too dry.

It is a bit late for this advice but when you put in the Barrier you could have added Kinks to deflect Rhizomes back inwards. This can be done without cutting the barrier and clamping two ends together as is often seen on pictures (I think it is often dubbed the 'Dutch method'). (Basically you just lay it in in a shape like this -----^------^---- )
OskieBoy wrote: 3.) What is the largest diameter species I can put in the back-right area which is a 20 feet by 15 feet? Would hennon be okay for this? Screening is not a problem for this spot.]
You could also try phyllostachys edulis (moso) if you are aiming for the largest diameter. Once established it should be able to handle 7b if you provide enough water, though I'm not sure how the confined space will affect hardiness.
Hennon sounds like a good choice. I've also seen a beautiful grove of boryana in the Melbourne botanical gardens with pretty large culms. Apparently it can take the dry summers there quite well so may also be an option if you like the look. Another fast grower with decent sized culms is shanghai 3 though I can't really comment on its final size potential.

all the best,

Nicholas
OskieBoy

Post by OskieBoy »

dependable- Thanks for the good information.

T9D- I had not considered Vivax, only because I thought it would be too big for the area? I will definitely till up the area before I plant, and mix in some compost too. I considered cutting down the tree, and then decided to leave it, I was told it was a nice hardwood. I did have two other trees removed for the planting area. A large maple and a large birch. I then had the stumps ground up. However, I found what was left of the stumps when I was installing the barrier. I had to cut through about 30 feet with an ax and a shovel. I fear the tree might die anyway, since I installed the barrier so close to it, and had to cut many of its roots to do so. Well guess I will find out soon.

Nicholas- Yes the barrier is 60 mil, and I had not heard of your Dutch idea, sounds interesting, however it is too late for that. Moso sounds like a great idea, I was just under the impression my planting area would be too small for Moso though?

Thank you all.