Free Bamboo

Moderator: needmore

needmore
Location info: 0
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Free Bamboo

Post by needmore »

I'm putting my place on the market so all of my bamboo is up for grabs. I have around 80 + large pots, mostly bissetii, some harbin inversa, atrovaginata a few odds & ends. Also any in-ground stuff is up for grabs but you have to come get it, I can not offer to ship anything.

I realize that people are not close enough to take me up on it but there are some rare species involved, I'm taking pots of the rare stuff with me to California where it can actually grow to maturity but the in-ground stuff is ready to be dug and is free.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Re: Free Bamboo

Post by Alan_L »

An end of an era. :(

I know you had some questions about the viability of the potted stuff -- does it all seem okay, or is rhizome condition unknown? I'm especially interested in atro...
needmore

Post by needmore »

Alan, several of them produced shoots but I'm not sure about the Atro, I have not checked out the pots lately but I will and get back to you.
foxd
Location info: 21

Post by foxd »

Brad, if the phone number you gave me still works I will try and call you this evening.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
needmore

Post by needmore »

Dan, I don't recall if you have my current number but email or PM me.
David
Location info: 30
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Just got back from California, the Pasadena- LA area. Saw some nice looking bamboo. What area are you moving to?
David Arnold
Middle Tennessee Bamboo Farm
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

David, I'm heading to Placerville, the area where another forum member here lives so I have a sense of the potential. I should be able to grow Phyllostachys to maturity, and other species such as walking stick which would be a hoot.
David
Location: Middle Tennessee (Murfreesboro) USDA Zone 6b/7a Record low Jan 1966 -14*F Frost free April 21-Oct.21

Post by David »

Beautiful small town somewhat similar to Nashville, IN. You can even do a little gold mining on the side! Just think cable internet and low humidity! Best wishes on your move and the sale of your place.
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
needmore

Post by needmore »

Thanks David, I'm hoping to sell my place fast - obviously - and find a new place to buy. I figure that 3 years after planting I'll have bamboo bigger than my 13 year old stuff here is presently. I'm especially curious to see what my Phy rutila, Phy fimbriligula, & Pl maculatus can do in that climate. I also have the Primontina from you headed that way.

I already am accustomed to keeping a 5 gallon bucket in the shower to catch plant water so the bamboo WILL get watered with greywater at the very least until established.
David

Post by David »

Brad, Being at the base of the Sierra Nevada mountains Placerville may not be as dry as some areas of California, but water conservation seems to be a California way of life.

The primotina really sized up this year. I think the delicate leaf structure is appealing. It seems moderately hardy here so it should excel in Placerville.

Keep in touch. I know we are all interested in hearing about your adventure!

Best wishes,

David
David Arnold
USDA zone 6b
arkansasbamboo

Post by arkansasbamboo »

I would like to come by and get some this week. How would i get your address and find out what time works best for you?

Thanks, Gary
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

David wrote: The primotina really sized up this year. I think the delicate leaf structure is appealing. It seems moderately hardy here so it should excel in Placerville. David
Here too, our 20 month old seedlings are sending culms up 7ft and climbing right now. Think too tender for here so may send most out to BC.

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
ShmuBamboo

Post by ShmuBamboo »

You are moving to Hangtown? Good place, I have several friends there and I have spent a lot of time there as well. Great white water kayaking on the American River near there. Not far from Lake Tahoe for winter skiing. Low enough that you will not get too much snow in winter or get too cold. I love the Sierra foothill area. Bamboo should thrive there. Oh, and your boos are going to grow somewhat different in the Mediterranean climate, and Fargesias love this western dry climate.

Gophers are a SERIOUS problem in Placerville though. They even have a street there in P town called Gopher Hole Road! Gophers are like voles on steroids. Larger, bigger appetites, I have seen then devastate many gardens. They have voles there too. You will come to understand why I grow so much bamboo in pots here. The deer are also serious problem there like here, and they will eat most anything except iris, rhodys, bamboo, and conifers. Deer are the reason I got into growing bamboo in the first place. Rabbits will also eat new boo shoots. Cottontail rabbits here have clipped a lot of my shoots this year. They have a lot of Jackrabbits in P-ville, and roads there named after them as well.

As for the drought, it is getting serious there. I was down in California in April and there was a war brewing between farmers with water rights and the city dwellers. Basically it comes down to Farmers using 80% of the water and the cities having 90% of the population. Guess who will win? I read that they are finally stripping the ancient water rights system there in CA now. The Central Valley water table has been virtually pumped dry. The Sierra snowpack is already long gone this year, as it is here in the Cascades. We do not rely on the snowpack here like they do in California though. Anyway, it is a different world here in the west than the Midwest. Good luck with your move and adapting to the west.
Happy trails...
T9D

Post by T9D »

Yeah man I'd never want to try to deal with bamboo in hot California weather with all the water problems they are having. Entire town areas have dried up wells and they are trucking in water in some areas. People are taking photos of green lawns being watered and the community attacks them with a vengeance. It's gone nuts down there (well more than the usual nuts California is lol). Another year or two of drought and it will be full on Mad Max haha. You should move to Oregon. Or anywhere in the Pacific northwest. Perfect bamboo climates starting just a little west of me about a half hour. Why we have so many bamboo nurseries here.
needmore

Post by needmore »

T9D wrote:Yeah man I'd never want to try to deal with bamboo in hot California weather with all the water problems they are having. Entire town areas have dried up wells and they are trucking in water in some areas. People are taking photos of green lawns being watered and the community attacks them with a vengeance. It's gone nuts down there (well more than the usual nuts California is lol). Another year or two of drought and it will be full on Mad Max haha. You should move to Oregon. Or anywhere in the Pacific northwest. Perfect bamboo climates starting just a little west of me about a half hour. Why we have so many bamboo nurseries here.
Well the place I'm renting has a stream with fish, cattails and other water plants so I'm not too bad here. Have been having to put on a sweatshirt the AM's are cool enough and not needing air conditioning except for a couple days. Been to several nurseries that all sell but do not specialize in bamboo, one that does and have seen zero evidence of mites due to the dry air I suspect so I'm not so sure that I'll trade you this for the OR climate and have to deal with mites!