Snapped some pics at my local university greenhouse

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Rufledt
Location info: 0

Snapped some pics at my local university greenhouse

Post by Rufledt »

I had some time to kill today so I took my camera for a quick run through my university's greenhouse. I had only a brief window before my camera went dead (my fault, didn't charge it first) so many of the photos are a bit rushed looking. I'll just post some of the ones that came out. They have 4 'biomes'- warm, cool, desert, and tropical. I think I walked through them in that order, but I didn't take extensive photos (again, camera dying). First off, they have a bunch of orchids. a couple of them were flowering at the time:

There were more, but some of them weren't flowering, others were flowering but the photos didn't come out.

These things appeared to have price tags on them, maybe purchased from a greenhouse or home depot or something:

Anybody know what they are called? Maybe I could put some in my garden if they are available nearby.

Here are some cool looking big plants:

I took photos of the tags with the names on them, but I'd have to go back through to figure out what they are exactly.

Here's a neat smaller plant with pretty flowers:

Also get a look at this:

This thing was huge. the flower looked nearly a foot long.

I don't remember what this is, but it had neat looking flowers:

They also have a big key lime tree, full of limes:

And some tree with lots of spikes:

I couldn't get a good photo of that. The problem I have is the light setting on the camera. It always gets screwed up when there is a flourescent light (and sky) in the background.

A few more random photos:

This one is particularly cool up close:

And some other desert plants:

Some cool things called 'living stones':

The desert room was more open so I could get larger shots:

They have some huge looking cactus in the middle:

On to the jungle room:

Here they have a nice collection of giant corpse plants:

The layout of the room doesn't really allow for pictures of their full size titan arum, but here's a shot of the base of the leaf:

This is looking up- unfortunately, a smaller amorphophallus plant (but not a titanum) leaf blocks the other leaves:

They have a few smaller titanums grown from seed from the last 2 times their big plant flowered. They were pollinated using stored pollen from a flower at cornell university:

They have a nice walkway path thing through some dense plants:

This plant has a cool looking stem:

That's all I'll post for now. i have a bunch more photos, maybe i'll post them later. There were so many awesome plants, I plan on going back at some point with a charged camera and a bit more time and i'll slow down and take some nicer looking photos. I'll probably try to leave the wool coat behind, too. Have you ever tried wearing wool in a tropical environment? I almost died in 5 minutes.
Nicholas

Re: Snapped some pics at my local university greenhouse

Post by Nicholas »

The colourful nettle-like plants are http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectranth ... llarioides

You can buy seed packs with varieties (I have a Wizard mix sown out in between my house-plants) and they are incredibly easy to propagate through cuttings put in water because they form roots easily.
stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

I've read that titanums can be propagated from leaf cuttings. If you can get away with taking a leaf or 2 off the big stalk, then it may be an interesting experiment. Here's a picture online of what it looks like.

Rufledt

Post by Rufledt »

i talked to a couple people at the greenhouse, their big titan arum is in hibernation at the moment. I donated a small division of aureosulcata 'harbin' but it died pretty quickly, i think it was overwatered. One guy i talked to there (who used to work for a bamboo researcher!) said they have separate people coming in throughout the week watering and sometimes they drench plants that shouldn't be drenched. oh well, i have plenty more. i have a small division of parvifolia that seems to be growing well enough, i'm hoping that will handle the potential overwatering a bit better.