Vancouver island garden ( a drones view)

Other plants we have or landscape elements like ponds.

Moderator: needmore

Van-isle-bamboo
Location info: 0

Vancouver island garden ( a drones view)

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

My neighbor has a drone that's really high tech with a camera. He offered to do a tour of my yard and my wife accepted because she knew it was going to be a great surprise while I'm out at work. It's a little long maybe for some but what a great chance for me to remeber my place as it grows on. With the exception of some larger rhodos and a big willow tree, my yard is 5 years old. Tropical gardening has only really been a pasision of mine for about three years. Lots of cool rare plants are missed but it gives a great overview of my place. A little Hawaiian music to go along with it.

I want to thank Sam for being so generous in making the video and for my lovely wife surprising me with it. Enjoy and thanks for watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-lKdDG2uB8

Kailey.
Wind D Ranch

Re: Vancouver island garden ( a drones view)

Post by Wind D Ranch »

Wow, you have quite a paradise there. Very nice. It reminds me that I have a lot of work to do in my yard!
Thanks for sharing.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Looks great, I did not know it was so tropical in BC. Do all those plants live year round?
johnw
Bamboo Society Membership: EBS - Germany

Post by johnw »

Hey Van-isle nice film of the garden. Lots of banana-belt stuff there. Was that a Rhododendron rex or kesangiae over by the plastic slide/pool?

These drone films are not shakey at all, in fact perfectly smooth. How's that possible?

john
johnw coastal Nova Scotia
Van-isle-bamboo

Post by Van-isle-bamboo »

Hi guys and thanks for looking.

Comox is a zone 8ish. A few of my plants get protected in the winter. I did see -12.7C last year once but that is a little in the colder side. Protection methods just consist of mostly just roofs with a few old Xmas lights on a circuit around the yard.

The rhodos by the little pool are Fulvoides, magnificum, calophytum and there's a Rex by the corner of the house too. I have many many other rhodos such as basilicum, kesaingiae, sinogrande, Rex fictolacteum, hodgsonii, three loderi types, as well as many many more yet to grow up. A couple of my newest favs are princess alice, edgeorthii, countess of haddington, lacteum, and I love the look of this little strigulosum too. Sorry I'm rambling now.

Love the new scheffleras such as Brevipedunculata, gracilis and I have a couple delavayi too.

Once again thanks for looking. I hope I can do this video again In a couple years once all my 30+ bamboos grow up. :shock:
Alan_L
Location info: 81

Post by Alan_L »

Great stuff!

I wish I could find somebody to take drone-assisted photos of my garden! A guy I know locally said that he won't fly his drone anywhere populated due to privacy concerns and FAA restrictions. Sigh.