temperature map

Anything that does not fit in another Forum...

Moderator: needmore

JWH
Location info: 0

Re: temperature map

Post by JWH »

3 more very cold nights ahead as low as 10-15f /-9 to -12c until the arctic air leaves.

Borinda angustissima, macclureana, and yushania boliana are still looking good after the last three nights at 22, 16, and 23f

Frosty Boliana leaf

Frosty Macclureana leaf and full clump shots.

stevelau1911
Location info: 42

Post by stevelau1911 »

It looks like 3/5 of the US is covered in snow already and this could mean that we are in for a very long cold winter. This may mean snow cover in for the next 4 months here. Obviously the accuweather will have very conservative forecasts, but if the average temperatures should be about 7F lower than normal for January, that's a perfect formula for it to drop below 0F many times in January and February. Right now, we are getting day time highs lower than the average lows for this time of the year.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... 3/20882021

If this snow keeps on building up, and we don't get any thaws, this could mean a very late spring.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

This year is bad...very bad, with highs being about average low.
What makes it worse is that there's hardly any snow around my place, so it is chilling the ground down to the core.
And it's not even officially Winter yet. Just wait till the end of January...zzz.

Antarctica is also getting record lows (-93 degree Celsius). Global warming?

I picked a bad year to overwinter my softies outside (moso and nigra bamboos). They're lightly tarped, but are planted close to the foundation. We'll see how low the temps will fall, and if those bamboos can stand up the to the test.

That said, looks like we're going to get a bit of a warm break with above freezing temps next weekend (for a day) before plunging back down...and down.
Attachments
20131214.jpg
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

I guess -2F is the official reading which is a record low again. It is right at 0F at my location though. I found that 1 paraffin lamp was enough to raise the temperature from 17.1F to 17.4F, but the actual effect should have been greater considering the the greenhouse temperature would have likely kept on dropping without the heating.

It will be interesting to see if 0F is cold enough to cause any damage given that there are some plants not completely smothered by the snow. This is the coldest I've seen it get outside of January and February.

needmore
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by needmore »

I have visible damage here at +2F, we are melting this week so I'll have a better idea but the usual early ones are cooked and it looks like moso & prominens are burnt pretty good hard to say for sure yet.
Brad Salmon, zone 12B Kea'au, HI
http://www.needmorebamboo.com
ocimum_nate
Location: American Fork, Utah High Desert, elevation 4566 feet, zone 5 or 6 depending on which source.

Post by ocimum_nate »

I have had some bad lows -5 F this year as well and I didn't protect my Thamnocalamus tessalatus. I am currently debating whether it is going to get colder and if so if I should clear cut the clump now and throw a bag of leaves over it to protect the roots and rhizomes.
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

+4 degrees currently, -11 overnight, and -22 by next Friday-Sat night.

And then, it appears to be going back to seasonal average temperatures! I've never really appreciated how warm average temperatures are in Winter time until this year. Average is good!

And given that average global temperatures are supposed to be constant, let's hope we have early start to Spring to make up for the temperature deficit incurred this Winter.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

This does look like it will be the coldest week. As usual, the sub-zero temperatures are supposed to come right after a good layer of snow is on the ground. It looks like the greenhouse might need some heating this time around.

Based on the maps, this winter there appears to be a huge difference in temperature between the north and south so it is very possible for the Jet stream to change, and bring us out of this trend of below average temperatures any week.

Tarzanus

Post by Tarzanus »

No weather change here. Since you in the States took the arctic blast that went our direction one month earlier, we have southern wind with abnormally high temperatures and rain. We even received a couple of thunderstorms that are extremely rare at this time of the year.
weather.png
weather.png (5.54 KiB) Viewed 7939 times
I'm afraid plants may start thinking about waking up. 3 months too soon.
stevelau1911

Post by stevelau1911 »

The warmup will probably stick around for you because the center of cold air is hovering around the Hudson Bay 2-3000 miles away from where it would normally be. Basically the middle of Canada is the north pole now. It would take a lot of energy to move it back in place, or even towards Europe.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-n ... m/22148893
JWH

Post by JWH »

Except for a week of cold in early december this winter has been mild and very dry so far. I have plants here already coming out of dormancy, so hopefully the arctic air stays away for the rest of the year.

Next weeks forecast:
Attachments
image.jpg
pokenei

Post by pokenei »

Two more weeks of extreme cold temperatures in the forecast.

You can blame the pioneers to North America. They clear cut all the trees. This allows arctic air to swoop down south without any resistance. I think cold air behaves just like everything else in nature - i.e. it will take the path with the least resistance. Global warming is not going to help.
foxd
Location info: 21
Bamboo Society Membership: ABS - America

Post by foxd »

It is more of a case that the jet stream is developing kinks extending farther north and south than what was normal.

Has anyone else thought about the fact that if the polar vortex (which normally sits over the Arctic) is coming this far south, then abnormally warm air is moving into the Arctic and the polar vortex is being warmed by being this far south. This cannot be good.
Southern Indiana.
My Bamboo List.

The legal issues that will arise when the undead walk the earth are legion, and addressing them all is well beyond what could reasonably be accomplished in this brief Essay. Indeed, a complete treatment of the tax issues alone would require several volumes.
jd.

Post by jd. »

Glaciers will continue to melt and retreat. Visit before they disappear.
dependable

Post by dependable »

Hope the gulf stream does not slow up too much more.